Air Fryer Tostones (Twice Air Fried Plantains)
Tostones – also known as patacones or fried green plantains – are made healthier with this easy air fryer recipe. No deep frying, just a few spritzes of olive oil for a crispy, delicious appetizer or side dish.
Air Fryer Tostones (Twice Fried Plantains)
Tostones are a staple in Latin American countries and the Caribbean. With a Latin mom, I grew up eating tostones and always loved them. As a kid I would help her smash them before they went back in the oil for a second time. I still can’t resist them if we go out for Latin food, or if I find myself at my Moms house with a plate of them in front of me.
Plantains, like bananas are high in potassium, fiber, vitamins and minerals. The only difference is you must cook them rather than eating them raw. These are different then maduros, which are sweet made with ripe plantains and are fried only once. These are naturally gluten-free, vegan, dairy-free, Whole30 and even Paleo friendly.
Since buying my air fryer, this has been on my top to-do list of recipes to try and turned out great! Tommy was a happy man as they are one of his favorites, we served them with a bowl of guacamole which would be great as a Superbowl appetizer. I’ve made Baked Tostones in the oven, but I think they came out much better in the air fryer.
How To Make Tostones in the Air Fryer
I used the same technique my family uses to deep fry, only without all the oil using my air fryer. I have the Nuwave Brio Air Fryer (affil link).
- Start with green plantains which look like bananas, only larger.
- Trim the ends of, cut a slit along the length deep enough to penetrate the skin without cutting the plantain.
- Cut into 1-inch pieces, then peel each piece (putting a little oil on your fingers helps peel them easier).
- Spritz the plantain with a little oil then cook a few minutes. Remove from the air fryer and smash while still hot. Spritz both sides with the oil and place back in the air fryer until golden and crisp.
- A tostonera (affil link) is typically used to smash them, if you don’t have one you can use the bottom of a cup or jar to smash them.
- Add them to a salt water brine for a second or 2 before adding them back to the air fryer.
- After they cook, I like to give them another spritz of olive oil so the salt sticks to them. Eat right away.
How To Serve Tostones
- Tostones are typically salted and served just like chips.
- You can add a dipping sauce such as guacamole, ceviche, zesty avocado dressing, mojo or in Colombia they serve it with hogao (I will share that recipe soon).
- This also makes a delicious side dish for Picadillo, Pernil, or Rice and Beans.
Tostones (Twice Air Fried Plantains)
These easy tostones also known as patacones or fried green plantains are made healthier in the air fryer. No deep frying, just a few spritzes of olive oil for a crispy, delicious appetizer or side dish.
- 1 large green plantain, ends trimmed and peeled (6 oz after)
- olive oil spray (I like Bertolli)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- With a sharp knife cut a slit along the length of the plantain skin, this will make it easier to peel. Cut the plantain into 1 inch pieces, 8 total.
- In a small bowl combine the water with salt and garlic powder.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F.
- When ready, spritz the plantain with olive oil and cook 6 minutes, you might have to do this in 2 batches.
- Remove from the air fryer and while they are hot mash them with a tostonera or the bottom of a jar or measuring cup to flatten.
- Dip them in the seasoned water and set aside.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F once again and cook, in batches 5 minutes on each side, spraying both sides of the plantains with olive oil.
- When done, give them another spritz of oil and season with salt. Eat right away.
Yield: 2 servings, Serving Size: 4 tostones
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 5
- Points +: 3
- Calories: 102 calories
- Total Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 250mg
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 12g
- Protein: 1g