This Cuban Picadillo recipe is my family’s favorite! It’s really quick and easy to make, I make it a few times a month and make enough so we have leftovers which are great in tacos, stuffed peppers, empanadas and just about anything you can think of!
This is a dish I grew up eating as a kid, and I always loved when my Mom was making it. My friends also loved eating over on nights picadillo was on the menu. I also have a Slow Cooker Picadillo, an Instant Pot Picadillo version, some great ways to use leftovers are Picadillo Empanadas made in the air fryer or Picadillo Quesadillas.
If I ask my daughters what they want for dinner, 9 out of 10 this is what they ask for. We usually serve it over brown rice with a quick slaw on the side.
This Cuban Picadillo recipe is my family’s favorite! It’s really quick and easy to make, I make it a few times a month and make enough so we have leftovers!
- 1/2 large chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- 1-1/2 lb 93% lean ground beef
- 4 oz (1/2 can) tomato sauce (I like Goya, check label for Keto)
- kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1-2 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp alcaparrado (capers or green olives would work too)
- Brown meat on high heat in large sauté pan and season with salt and pepper. Use a wooden spoon to break the meat up into small pieces. When meat is no longer pink, drain all juice from pan.
- Meanwhile, while meat is cooking, chop onion, garlic, pepper, tomato and cilantro.
- Add to the meat and continue cooking on a low flame. Add alcaparrado and about 2 tbsp of the brine (the juice from the olives, this adds great flavor) cumin, bay leaf, and more salt if needed. Add tomato sauce and 1/4 cup of water and mix well. Reduce heat and simmer covered about 20 minutes.
Yield: 6 Servings, Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 3
- Points +: 4
- Calories: 207 calories
- Total Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 74mg
- Sodium: 477mg
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 3g
- Protein: 25g