Cubano Chicken (Pickle, Ham and Swiss Chicken Roll Ups)
These pickle, ham and Swiss Chicken roll ups came to me after having a serious pickle craving!
I wanted to make a hot dish utilizing dill pickles in some way and decided to stuff a chicken breast with everything you’d normally find in a Cuban Sandwich. But I took it a step further and brined the cutlets overnight in pickle juice for extra flavor, the results were outstanding!!! Bake them in the oven or make them in the air fryer!
Some days I have ideas and I have to test them several times to get them perfect, this dish was a winner from the first round! So much flavor in the chicken, you def need to try this!! Brining chicken in pickle juice gives you the most flavorful, juicy meat as you may have tried in these Pickle-Brined Chicken Tenders! If you don’t eat pork, turkey ham would work great here too.
Pickle Ham and Swiss Chicken Roll Ups (Cuban Chicken)
- 4 1 lb thin boneless chicken cutlets
- 1 1/4 cups pickle juice, enough to cover chicken
- 4 teaspoons deli mustard
- 2 oz thin sliced reduced sodium deli ham
- 2 oz shredded Swiss cheese
- 1-2 dill pickles, sliced very thin lengthwise, dried on paper towel (I used a mandolin)
- olive oil spray
For the breading:
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup seasoned wheat or gluten-free breadcrumbs*
- 1/3 cup seasoned wheat or gluten-free panko*
- cooking spray
- Place chicken in a shallow bowl and cover with pickle juice (enough to cover completely). Marinate in the refrigerator 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, drain and dry the chicken completely on paper towels; discard marinade.
- Preheat oven to 425F. Spray a baking sheet with oil.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of mustard over each piece of chicken. Layer the ham on top, then the Swiss cheese and pickles along the center and roll.
- Place egg in a medium bowl. In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs and panko. Dip chicken in the egg wash, then into the breadcrumb mixture and shake off excess.
- Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and spray the top generously with oil. Bake 25 minutes, until golden outside and cooked through.
Air Fryer Method:
- Follow steps 1-5.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400F. Transfer to the air fryer basket in two batches until golden outside and cooked through in the center, about 12 minutes, turning half way.