These are my quick and easy Cuban Style Black Beans recipe from canned beans to go with rice and steak, Pernil, pollo, etc.
Cuban Style Black Beans
Get your Latin groove on with these Cuban inspired black beans, loaded with mucho sabor (lots of flavor)! Easy to make and ready in 20 minutes, but don’t let that fool you, there is plenty of flavor in these beans. Healthy, high in fiber, vegetarian, gluten free, inexpensive and delicioso! Try these beans with some of my Latin favorites such as Cilantro Lime Rice, Barbacoa Beef, Barbacoa Pork, Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas, Slow Cooked Pernil, and Pollo Sabroso, to name a few.
This is my go to recipe for busy weeknights when I don’t have time to make beans from the dried bag. Tommy loves this dish so I make them quite often. My favorite is serving this over rice but you can add this to enchiladas, tacos and more.
Ingredients for these easy black beans
This black canned beans recipe uses just a few ingredients to make a flavorful side or main dish in minutes. It’s super easy to whip up!
- Canned black beans: Canned black beans, find the best brand that works for you, I like Goya and don’t drain or rinse.
- Onions and Scallions: I like to use both, but if you only have one, just use more of it.
- Garlic: Adds fresh garlic for best results. I buy them peeled to save time.
- Red bell pepper: just a little goes a long way for flavor
- Cilantro: cooks out, so if you’re worried about it tasting soapy, it won’t
- Cumin, Dried Oregano and Bay Leaf: for seasoning
- Red Vinegar: a little added at the end brightens them up
More Bean Recipes You Will Love:
- Dominican Beans (Habichuelas Guisadas)
- Vegetarian Black Bean Tacos
- Instant Pot Refried Beans
- Instant Pot Brown Sugar Baked Beans
- Mediterranean Bean Salad
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 scallions
- 2 tbsp red bell pepper
- 3 tbsp cilantro
- 15 oz can black beans, do not drain (I prefer Goya)
- 1/2 cup water, or more if needed
- 1 bay leaf
- few pinches cumin, to taste
- pinch oregano
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Chop onion, garlic, scallions, red pepper, and cilantro in a mini chopper of food processor.
- Add oil to a medium-sized pot on medium heat.
- Add vegetables to the pot and saute until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add beans, water, bay leaf, cumin, oregano, red wine vinegar, salt and black pepper and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and cover, simmer about 15 minutes stirring occasionally (adjust water as needed).
- Taste for salt and serve.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.