Vegetarian Black Bean Tacos served in crunchy corn shells and filled with classic taco toppings are so good that you definitely won’t miss the meat.
Vegetarian Black Bean Tacos
Based on your feedback and my desire to create more plant-based recipes for vegetarians and those who are trying to cut down on their meat consumption (try Meatless Monday!), you’ll love these Crunchy Black Bean Tacos. Make it a fiesta with cilantro lime rice and guacamole on the side! And if you prefer beef, these slow cooker beef tacos are a favorite in my house!
Taco Tuesday is always a popular night at my house. And since these tacos are vegetarian, they’re also perfect for Meatless Mondays. But really, who are we kidding? Tacos are an excellent idea any night of the week! These vegetarian tacos with black beans are such an easy weeknight dinner. Using canned beans instead of dried saves a ton of time. Plus, beans are a great, inexpensive pantry staple. Infused with Mexican spices and topped with all my favorite fixins, these tasty vegetarian tacos are so hearty, satisfying, and delicious.
What is a good side to serve with tacos?
These crunchy tacos are full of protein, fiber, and vegetables, making them a filling meal on their own. But if you’re looking for a side dish, try one of these:
- Instant Pot Cilantro Lime Rice
- Corn Tomato Avocado Salad
- Chips and Salsa Verde or Salsa Picante Roja
- Mexican Cauliflower “Rice”
- Swap crispy corn taco shells for flour tortillas or corn tortillas.
- Top tacos with jarred salsa or my No-Cook Salsa instead of fresh tomatoes.
- If you don’t have black beans, substitute them with canned pinto beans.
- Use Monterey jack or cotija cheese instead of cheddar.
- Add jalapenos to the black bean mixture or top your taco with raw jalapenos to make these spicy black bean tacos.
- Serve the black bean mixture and taco toppings on tostada shells instead of taco shells.
More Taco Recipes You’ll Love:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Healthy Cod Fish Tacos
- Shrimp Scampi Tacos with Caesar Slaw
- Green Scallop Tacos
- Greek Tzatziki Fish Tacos
Vegetarian Black Bean Tacos
For the beans:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ small yellow onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon water
For the tacos:
- 8 hard corn taco shells, I like Old El Paso Stand ‘n Stuff
- 4 ounces Hass avocado, from 1 small
- Juice from 1/2 small lime
- Pinch kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- Preheat oven according to taco shell package directions. Lay taco shells on a sheet pan in an even layer. When hot, bake shells for 6-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the canola oil, swirl to cover pan then add the onion and sauté 2-3 minutes until onions have softened and become translucent.
- Add the garlic and sauté 30 seconds more. Add the beans, spices, tomato paste and water and mix until combined.
- Cook about 3 minutes to allow flavors to meld and beans to heat through.
- In a small bowl, mash avocado with a fork until smooth. Add lime juice, salt and pepper.
To assemble tacos:
- Place taco shells on a flat surface. Layer each shell with 1/8 of the bean mixture, then the cheese, mashed avocado, tomatoes and lettuce. Serve immediately.
66 comments on “Vegetarian Black Bean Tacos”
OMG was this delicious!! Pretty quick and easy to make, and very, very tasty! I put the beans and avocado mix on a crispy tostada shell, and then tomato, cheese, cilantro and a lime squeeze… Sooooo good!
These were so good! I didn’t know what to make for dinner and I didn’t want to drag the kids to the store with me. I love that this uses pantry staples. Definitely keeping more cans of black beans on hand so I can make again 🙂
I’ve been eating way too much meat lately so I have decided to subcribe to you vegetarian Cuban recipes….
Thank you for creating such beautiful food!
This is the best taco recipe I’ve ever made.
We have it often and I like to make it for friends coming over for dinner.
I tried these tonight. I’m no fan of avocado but it, along with the lime, balanced out the strong flavor and spices of the beans. It was just the right pinch of citrus. This is definitely a keeper. Quick and easy (if you’re used to cutting avocado). I will be making these again.
I just made these tacos this evening and are they awesome!! They are packed with so much flavor! This will definitely be in my dinner rotation every week! Thanks you Gina, for such an easy, quick, and delicious recipe!!
Fantastic! I didn’t have any cayenne so I added some Sriracha. Just the right amount of heat! I don’t think I’ll make tacos with meat again!
My newly turned five-year-old is requesting this recipe, again! You should know this is a rare occurrence outside of pizza and chicken nuggets. Maybe it’s that the filling is basically surrounded by a large chip? Or the tasty and creamy filling? Whatever the reason, I’m thrilled to have another recipe she happily eats. We all enjoy it. Thank you!
Aww, love this!
Excellent. My husband added chicken to his and said they were delicious.
Delicious! Whipped these up last night and they we’re so quick and easy to make. Also very filling which I find doesn’t always happen with vegetarian recipes.
This was so good, and so quick to make. Thank you!
Easy and delicious
This was so good! Everyone loved it – my husband, my kids (they are 4 and 6) and me! Thank you a quick, healthy and delicious recipe!
Great recipe! I substituted the tomato paste and water for about 2 Tbsp salsa and a lil’ splash of water, and cooked the beans longer, about 10minutes, stirring and smooshing them as they cooked. Fantastic.
Great Great tasting black bean filling. The only thing ini added was a squeeze of fresh lime at the end. This recipe is a keeper!
This is literally the BEST black bean taco or burrito filling I have ever had. And I have tried many recipes, some of which are much more complicated and have more ingredients. But THIS one is a keeper and is the only 1 I will use from now on! I omitted oil, doubled the onion and cayenne, and quadrupled the rest of the black beans and spices.
Excellent!! This recipe is going in the keep pile. We are meat eaters but looking to sub some meals vegetarian. We didn’t miss the meat. I doubled the recipe and added a pint of mushrooms when I sauteed the onions. I also used organic soft corn tortillas that I had on hand. I think the avocado mash makes it. Highly recommend!
That was surprisingly good and filling!
Though I am definitely no vegetarian, this dish looked interesting, and best of all, quick and simple to me. I had all the ingredients so I made it on a whim. Wow! This was absolutely delicious. I highly recommend it!
Can this filling be frozen?
This was wonderful!!! Thanks!
This is a great recipe! After making it three times, this recipe has become a favorite. We add guacamole and . . . yum!
Delicious! And so easy too. My teenage son (diehard carnivore) even gave them two thumbs up. Definitely keeping this recipe in the rotation.
These look delish! Whay would you suggest as substitute for tomato paste? My daughter has an intolerance.
THIS TACO FILLING IS DELICIOUS!!! Is there any nutritional info available
for just the taco filling?
These were absolutely fabulous (and super easy)! Loved it!!!