This easy, healthy cod fish taco recipe is seasoned with a chili-lime cumin rub topped with slaw and creamy lime sauce – no breading, no frying!
Cod Fish Tacos
These fish tacos have a delicious crisp cabbage and carrot slaw, then drizzled with a lightened up chili-lime sauce. SO good! Me and Karina, my oldest daughter love fish, but my husband Tommy does not… unless I make fish tacos! These healthy fish tacos are my favorite way to get him to eat fish and they are so quick, ready in 30 minutes. For a fun spin on fish tacos, try these Greek Fish Tacos, Scallop Tacos or these Lobster Tacos.
For the delicious, creamy sauce, I combined some Greek yogurt with lime juice, a little mayo and Tajin (affil link), my favorite chili-lime seasoning and a must to add to your spice rack (Trader Joes also has a version of this). The fish is also seasoned with Tajin and cumin, so good! Use a little water to loosen it to make it easy to drizzle.
Best fish for fish tacos:
Here I used wild cod fish fillets, but any flaky white fish can be used here. Try snapper or mahi mahi fillets.
How to cook cod for fish tacos
Since there’s no breading, I find the fastest and easiest way to cook the cod for fish tacos is in a skillet so you get a little char. You can broil them if you prefer, or cook them on the grill on foil in the summer.
More Taco Recipes:
- Cilantro Lime Fish Tacos
- Shrimp Scampi Tacos
- Beef Tacos
- Blackened Fish Tacos with Cabbage Slaw
- Grilled Chicken Tacos
Cod Fish Tacos
For The Sauce (make 1/2 cup)
- Season fish with salt, ground cumin and Tajin.
- Combine the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to eat.
- Toss the slaw ingredients and keep cold.
- Place on preheated skillet and spray with olive oil, cook 4 to 5 minutes on each side until fish is just opaque and charred. Break up in large chunks.
- Char the tortillas over an open flame on the burner or in a skillet about 30 seconds on each side, stack on a plate covered with a towel to keep warm.
- Assemble tacos. Place slaw on the bottom of each tortilla, top with fish and drizzle with sauce, serve with lime wedges.