This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Blackened Fish Tacos with Cabbage Mango Slaw is made with cod fish seasoned with a spicy rub and cooked in a cast iron skillet.
Blackened Fish Tacos
The mango-cabbage slaw is the perfect balance of sweet and sour which compliments the fish perfectly. I served these for dinner last night with some guacamole on the side (not pictured here) and my husband was a very happy man. For more fish taco ideas, try these Cod Fish Tacos, Salmon Tacos and these awesome Shrimp Tacos!
I cooked the whole thing outside on the grill which is a great way to keep the fish smell out of your house, but you can also do this indoors on the stove. The only thing that would have made this meal better would probably be a margarita on the side!
- If fresh fish is available, wait until the day or day before to buy it before you are going to cook it.
- If fresh isn’t available, buy frozen instead of previously frozen so you can control freshness and keep it frozen until you need it.
- Frozen fish fillets are great to keep on hand in the freezer. You can defrost them overnight in the fridge or pull from from the freezer and put them in an ice bath (in the package if they are individually wrapped or in a sealed Ziploc) for about 30 minutes
Blackened Fish Tacos with Cabbage Mango Slaw
Blackened cod fish seasoned with a spicy rub and cooked in a cast iron skillet. The mango-cabbage slaw is the perfect balance of sweet and sour which compliments the fish perfectly.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 2 tacos
For the cabbage slaw:
- 3 1/2 cups 1/2 small red cabbage, shredded fine
- 1 mango, julienned
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 lime, juiced
For the tacos:
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp 1/2 tsp for spicier ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground oregano
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb skinless cod or halibut filet
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- cooking spray
- 8 corn tortillas
- lime wedges for serving
- 1/2 lime, cut into wedges
- Combine all the slaw ingredients and refrigerate.
- Mix the dried spices and seasoning together in a small bowl, squeeze the lime on the fish then rub the seasoning onto fish.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on grill or stove on high heat till really hot. Spray with nonstick oil spray.
- Cook fish until opaque in the center and well browned on the outside, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Heat the corn tortillas on the grill until they slightly char, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Cut the fish into 8 pieces (or you can flake it if it's easier).
- Divide the fish equally between 8 tortillas and top each with 1/2 cup slaw. Serve with lime wedges.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Serving: 2 tacos, Calories: 278 kcal, Carbohydrates: 31 g, Protein: 29 g, Fat: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 0.5 g, Cholesterol: 62 mg, Sodium: 543 mg, Fiber: 5 g, Sugar: 12 g