Tequila Lime Shrimp is quick and easy, seasoned with fragrant spices and spiked with tequila. Ready in less than 10 minutes!
Tequila Lime Shrimp
I’m not much of a tequila drinker but cooking with it…well, let’s just say I don’t object to boozy shrimp. The alcohol cooks out, so you won’t get intoxicated eating this Tequila Lime Shrimp, but the flavor is spot on. I also add some red pepper flakes to give the shrimp a little spice. If you don’t want to cook with alcohol, try my Cilantro Lime Shrimp. Some dinner ideas with shrimp; serve them with tortillas or with rice and beans. Or make them into burritos or quesadillas!
How to Make Tequila Lime Shrimp
These tequila lime shrimp cook quickly on the stove, but if you want to grill them, marinate them in tequila for an hour. Then cook the shrimp in a grill basket and squeeze lime over them. This way, the alcohol will cook out.
- Season the shrimp with cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Add the oil and shrimp to a large nonstick skillet on high heat. Cook them without stirring for a couple of minutes.
- Turn the shrimp over, add garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook for one minute until opaque. Make sure not to overcook the shrimp or they’ll get tough.
- Add the tequila and cook for 30 to 40 seconds until slightly evaporated, remove the pan from the heat, and then squeeze the lime juice over the shrimp.
- Top with cilantro and toss well.
What to Serve with Tequila Lime Shrimp
These tequila lime shrimp can be eaten so many ways. Here are some ideas:
- Tacos: Wrap the shrimp in flour or corn tortillas and add guacamole, pickled red onions, and cilantro lime slaw.
- As a main: Serve the shrimp with cilantro lime rice (or cauliflower rice) and black beans on the side.
- Quesadillas: Place the shrimp between two flour tortillas and sprinkle with Monterey jack cheese and tomato avocado salsa.
- Tostadas: Put shrimp on tostada shells and top with refried beans, tomatoes, lettuce, and shredded cheddar.
- Salad: Make a shrimp salad by adding romaine, tomatoes, avocado, red onion, corn, cucumber, and cotija and drizzle with lime vinaigrette.
- Bowl: Serve the shrimp over spicy scallion cilantro rice and add all your favorite toppings.
- Shrimp: You can use frozen, thawed shrimp if you don’t have fresh. If you’re allergic to shrimp, swap them for a white fish, like cod, flounder, or mahi mahi.
- Tequila: I used George Clooney’s Casamigos Tequila, but any tequila brand will work. You can use either Reposado or Blanco tequila.
- Cilantro: If you’re not a cilantro fan, omit it.
- Spiciness: If you don’t like spicy food, omit the red pepper.
More Shrimp Recipes You’ll Love:
- Shrimp Scampi Tacos with Caesar Salad Slaw
- Zesty Lime Shrimp and Avocado Salad
- Blackened Shrimp and Grits
- Shrimp Ceviche
- Mexican Shrimp Diablo
Tequila Lime Shrimp
- 24 peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp, 1 lb
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, from 1 medium lime
- 2 oz tequila
- 3 tablespoons rough chopped fresh cilantro
- Season the shrimp with cumin, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a very large nonstick skillet over high heat.
- Add the oil and shrimp to the pan, and cook them undisturbed for about 2 minutes.
- Turn the shrimp over, add garlic, red pepper flakes and cook until opaque throughout, about 1 minute.
- Add the tequila and cook 30 to 40 seconds until slightly evaporated, remove from heat then squeeze the lime juice over all the shrimp.
- Add the cilantro, toss well, and serve.
65 comments on “Tequila Lime Shrimp”
Whenever I want to cook a special meal for a friend, I make this recipe. So easy and good. Rice-cooker rice and a salad. Perfect. And as others have said, people are impressed and think you are a gourmet cook.
Hubby and I loved it! I didn’t change a thing. I served it with southwest rice and a salad. Quick and easy.
The recipe is simply great. Easy to cook and fantastic taste. My shrimps came out a bit hard…. From your images it looks soft and succulent. Any idea what could have gone wrong?
you overcooked them
If you overcook them they will be tough. They only need 3 to 4 minutes.
My husband and I enjoyed this very much. I didn’t have cilantro, but will definitely use it next time. Nice quick dinner.
Could you please tell me the grams of sugar in the shrimp dishes? Thanks so much!
Can you make this a couple of hours a head of time and serve room temperature?
We made this last night and DELICIOUS!! We turned them into shrimp tacos on corn tortillas with rotel, avocado, Mexican street corn (left over from party) and cheese. Today I reheated then for lunch and made a salad. YUM!! Gina, your recipes are the best!
This is by far the best recipe I have tried from skinnytaste. I was skeptical about the tequila as I have never cooked with it before. It did turn my stomach when I first put it in but once it cooked down and coated the shrimp and then topping it with lemon. Oh my goodness yummy!
I changed this up a little bit and used more garlic than called for, 1/2 a diced red onion, and sauteed both before putting the shrimp in the pan. That said, this was the absolute best shrimp I’ve ever tasted. Even my INCREDIBLY picky sister-in-law loved ’em!
We’ve made this twice. Love it! I questioned cooking the shrimp for so long but totally do it. Also don’t skimp on the lime. I may even have converted a seafood hater with this one.
Fantastic!! I think the tequila really made the sauce. I had it with a lettuce leaf and guacamole. Great low carb meal. Make this! Even if you just remotely like shrimp, you will love it!!
OMG! This was SO good! My husband and I loved it. Served it on tortillas with some guac and a little rice. It’s definitely a keeper.
Wonderful! Added a little chile de arbol to the shrimp; sautéed orange pepper and onion in the remaining juice after removing the shrimp and served on whole wheat tortillas…really delicious without any guilt!
I was starving and only had 4 smart points for dinner and this hit the spot!!! I also had a salad and stayed at my 4 points. It was so full of flavor!!! Thank you again!!!
Can I use ready to eat frozen shrimp or does it have to be raw shrimp?
I haven’t tried it with frozen shrimp.
Does this have to be raw shrimp or can I use frozen ready to eat shrimp?
I haven’t tried with frozen shrimp.
Wow. I cook almost exclusively from Gina’s website, and everything is wonderful. For New Year’s, we made the tequila lime shrimp and turned them into tacos using Guy Fieri’s spicy sauce recipe (Spicy Pink Sauce). We also made Gina’s Latin Yellow Rice. Absolutely one of the best dinners we have ever had. We live in an area without good Mexican food, and with limited access to reasonable seafood, so we watch store ads religiously. Gina’s shrimp and rice recipes are the best we have ever had, and we travel. Cannot thank Gina enough for the amazing recipes. Make this shrimp (and the rice recipe). Just do it.
Aww, thank you!
Can you do this with chicken?
I've made this dish several times. Tonight made it with shrimp and scallops! Served with your cilantro lime rice, corn & black bean salad, and a green salad with your creamy avacado dressing. EVERYTHING was delish!
So delicious! I served the prawns with Mexican style rice and BBQ'd corn cobs. Will definitely make this again.
Had it over cheese grits….Mmmm fantastico.
Made these as tacos tonight!! So easy and so so good!
Can you use frozen shrimp?
So easy and sooo good!! Yet another winner Gina!! We paired with your Mexican Zucchini and Southwestern Black Bean Salad!
Another rave review here! This was SO EASY and was soooo good. Boyfriend and I will be making this again for sure!
Made this tonight for dinner, amazing!
Made this tonight & we loved it.love your recipes!
I am making this tonight and mixing brown rice with avocado and serving the shrimp on top! Thank you for posting such great meals!
Home run! Everyone loved it and I even had the ingredients in my house. My son suggested sauteing some veggies next time and that sounds like a great addition. I'll saute them and add back to the pan with the shrimp right before the tequila. Delicious!
It's so lovely served on a bed of avocado guacamole! No guiltiness to eat such a shrimps meal, it's perfect.
The flavor is excellent! Next time I will buy smaller shrimp and double up on the seasonings, lime and tequilla so that I would have a little sauce to drizzle over the shrimp. I may have cooked it down just a little too much – not sure?
Lol…that's great…glad you like them
Love a lot of your recipes and your site. Looking forward to trying this one. Mad props to you for getting this dude in to the kitchen to cook for the wife.
This look SO good! And avocado seals the deal for me. 🙂
Goodness why didn't I think of this? I love tequila. I usually use wine for cooking. I will give it a try this week. Thank you!
Lol…let me know what you think
Is there a substitute for the tequila in case I don't have any around? Sort of used it all up celebrating. 😛
Lol…not sure…I think the tequila would be best
This looks delicious! I will certainly try out this recipe when next I prepare shrimp for my family
I made this last night, as soon as I saw the recipe go up! Amazing! My husband said it tasted like a gourmet, master shrimp chef had made dinner! Thank you, Gina! I use your recipes at least 4 times a week! Love them! ~Cara
would grilling the shrimp in a grill basket work just as well?
This looks gooooood!!
Shared these on my Cinco de Mayo recipe round up. Perfect light summer fare!!! http://smallstepsofchange.com/2015/05/05/cinco-de-mayo-recipe-roundup/
Thanks! Love your recipes!!!
Would this still be 5 points without the Tequila?
4 points without
YUMM! Love this thanks for sharing xo c
This looks absolutely delicious! Can't wait to try it!
We had this for dinner( even invited our friends) and we all loved it! We had them as tacos with fresh pico de gallo and guacamole. Delish and easy!
I love Tequila, but I've never cooked with it before, I'm definitely making this, this weekend! Thanks Gina – can't wait to try it 🙂
Can you grill the shrimp?
Sure, I would marinate the shrimp with the tequila first so it cooks off, the squeeze the lime on it after it's cooked.
The flavors in this has my mouth watering! I love shrimp and know this would make me a happy girl! xo
This recipe looks absolutely delicious! Perfect for the warmer weather 🙂
You had me at tequila. 😉 No but really, I love shrimp and this recipe looks really good.