Tequila Lime Shrimp is quick and easy, seasoned with fragrant spices and spiked with tequila. Ready in less than 10 minutes!
Tequila Lime Shrimp
I’m not much of a tequila drinker but cooking with it…well, let’s just say I don’t object to boozy shrimp. The alcohol cooks out, so you won’t get intoxicated eating this Tequila Lime Shrimp, but the flavor is spot on. I also add some red pepper flakes to give the shrimp a little spice. If you don’t want to cook with alcohol, try my Cilantro Lime Shrimp. Some dinner ideas with shrimp; serve them with tortillas or with rice and beans. Or make them into burritos or quesadillas!
How to Make Tequila Lime Shrimp
These tequila lime shrimp cook quickly on the stove, but if you want to grill them, marinate them in tequila for an hour. Then cook the shrimp in a grill basket and squeeze lime over them. This way, the alcohol will cook out.
- Season the shrimp with cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Add the oil and shrimp to a large nonstick skillet on high heat. Cook them without stirring for a couple of minutes.
- Turn the shrimp over, add garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook for one minute until opaque. Make sure not to overcook the shrimp or they’ll get tough.
- Add the tequila and cook for 30 to 40 seconds until slightly evaporated, remove the pan from the heat, and then squeeze the lime juice over the shrimp.
- Top with cilantro and toss well.
What to Serve with Tequila Lime Shrimp
These tequila lime shrimp can be eaten so many ways. Here are some ideas:
- Tacos: Wrap the shrimp in flour or corn tortillas and add guacamole, pickled red onions, and cilantro lime slaw.
- As a main: Serve the shrimp with cilantro lime rice (or cauliflower rice) and black beans on the side.
- Quesadillas: Place the shrimp between two flour tortillas and sprinkle with Monterey jack cheese and tomato avocado salsa.
- Tostadas: Put shrimp on tostada shells and top with refried beans, tomatoes, lettuce, and shredded cheddar.
- Salad: Make a shrimp salad by adding romaine, tomatoes, avocado, red onion, corn, cucumber, and cotija and drizzle with lime vinaigrette.
- Bowl: Serve the shrimp over spicy scallion cilantro rice and add all your favorite toppings.
- Shrimp: You can use frozen, thawed shrimp if you don’t have fresh. If you’re allergic to shrimp, swap them for a white fish, like cod, flounder, or mahi mahi.
- Tequila: I used George Clooney’s Casamigos Tequila, but any tequila brand will work. You can use either Reposado or Blanco tequila.
- Cilantro: If you’re not a cilantro fan, omit it.
- Spiciness: If you don’t like spicy food, omit the red pepper.
More Shrimp Recipes You’ll Love:
- Shrimp Scampi Tacos with Caesar Salad Slaw
- Zesty Lime Shrimp and Avocado Salad
- Blackened Shrimp and Grits
- Shrimp Ceviche
- Mexican Shrimp Diablo
Tequila Lime Shrimp
- Season the shrimp with cumin, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat a very large nonstick skillet over high heat.
- Add the oil and shrimp to the pan, and cook them undisturbed for about 2 minutes.
- Turn the shrimp over, add garlic, red pepper flakes and cook until opaque throughout, about 1 minute.
- Add the tequila and cook 30 to 40 seconds until slightly evaporated, remove from heat then squeeze the lime juice over all the shrimp.
- Add the cilantro, toss well, and serve.