These easy Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos made in the crock pot with chicken breast, salsa, and spices are on repeat in my house!
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
Chicken tacos are a popular dinner in my house. We love tacos because they are so customizable. You can switch up the meat, toppings, and tortillas, so you may never eat the same taco twice! Madison’s Favorite Beef Tacos and Fish Tacos are a couple of our favorites.
However, lately Madison has been asking me to make these every week! These are the best chicken tacos because they are easy and tasty. One of those dinners that you dump in the slow cooker. Then, when it’s time to eat, it takes just a few minutes to whip up the simple limey slaw, slice the avocado, and heat the corn tortillas.
You can use chicken breast as I did here or make it with boneless chicken thighs, which we often do too.
Are chicken tacos healthy?
Yes, chicken tacos can be healthy – it all depends on the toppings. Cheese and creamy sauces are higher in calories than veggies. These healthy tacos are topped with a cabbage slaw and avocado. I use corn tortillas, which are a little lighter than flour tortillas.
How much chicken do I need for tacos?
To make 12 tacos, you need 1 1/2 pounds of chicken breasts. This chicken taco recipe has a serving size of three tacos, but you can definitely get more tacos out of the chicken, depending on how much you pile on the tortillas. If you need to make more than 12 tacos, you can easily double the chicken.
How do you make chicken tacos from scratch?
These chicken tacos are really easy to make from scratch.
Chicken. Start with the chicken since that takes the longest to cook. Season the chicken with adobo seasoning or salt, garlic powder, and cumin. Place in the slow cooker and cover with your favorite salsa. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or high 3 hours.
Once the chicken shreds easily, it’s done. Drain the excess liquid from the pot while keeping as much of the tomatoes from the salsa. Shred the chicken with two forks.
Chicken Taco Toppings
To make the cabbage slaw, combine the shredded cabbage, lime, salt, and cilantro and mix together. Slice the avocado and cut the lime into wedges.
How to Heat Corn Tortillas
Heat the corn tortillas over the open flame of your gas stove. Hold the tortillas one at a time with tongs for 15 to 30 seconds. Once they are slightly charred, put on a plate and cover with a towel to keep warm.
If you don’t have a gas stove or are short on time, you can microwave the tortillas. Put them on a plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for about 30 seconds until warm.
You can also heat tortillas in the oven. Wrap them in foil and bake for 10 to 15 minutes at 350 degrees until warm.
How to Assemble Tacos
Now that all your taco filling is ready, it’s time to assemble your tacos. Top each tortilla with chicken, slaw, and avocado and serve with lime.
To Make Ahead: You can make the chicken ahead and store in a container. Keep covered and refrigerate up to four days. To reheat, microwave in 30-second intervals until heated through.
To Freeze Meat: Let the chicken cool and store in a freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to three months. To reheat, transfer to the refrigerator overnight or reheat from frozen in 30-second intervals until heated through.
- Use flour or whole-wheat tortillas instead of corn.
- Swap the chicken breasts for boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- Top with guacamole instead of avocado slices. Just mash up some avocado and season with salt and lime for a simple guac.
How To Make
More Taco Recipes You’ll Love:
- Easy Grilled Chicken Tacos
- Healthy Cod Fish Tacos
- Union Cantina Lobster Tacos
- Thai Chicken Peanut Lettuce Tacos
- Shrimp Scampi Tacos
Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- 1-1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- adobo seasoning, or salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup chunky mild or medium salsa
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 ounces from 1 medium haas avocado, sliced
- lime wedges for squeezing
- 12 corn tortillas
- Season the chicken with adobo (or salt), then place in the crock pot and top with garlic powder and cumin.
- Top chicken with salsa (no water needed).
- Cover and cook LOW for 4 to 6 hours, until chicken shreds easily.
- When cooked, drain excess liquid from the pot keeping as much as the tomato sauce as possible and shred with two forks. Cover and keep warm until ready to eat.
- Make the slaw, combine cabbage, lime juice, cilantro and salt in a bowl and toss.
- Heat the tortillas about 30 seconds on each side over the flame of your stove until slightly charred, transfer to a plate with a towel on top to keep warm and repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- To serve, place 3 tortillas on each plate, top with chicken, slaw, sliced avocado and serve with lime wedges.