These Grilled Chicken Fajitas are made with lean strips of chicken breast, bell peppers, and onions and served sizzling hot with warm tortillas and shredded cheese.
My husband Tommy is a creature of habit. Anytime we eat at a Mexican restaurant, he always orders chicken fajitas. When we went to Mexico years ago, he may have ordered them almost every night! I find it amusing because I get bored of eating the same thing twice. I tend to always try something completely new to me. If you love fajitas but want some variety, try my Spicy Breakfast Fajitas, Grilled Steak Fajitas, and Shrimp Fajitas.
These healthy chicken fajitas are a regular in my home. We make them at least once a month, and the whole family enjoys them. When Madison was younger, she only liked her bell peppers raw, so I would chop some up and set them aside for her with some chicken and a tortilla. Fajitas are easy to deconstruct if your kids like to eat their foods separately.
How do you make chicken fajitas from scratch?
These easy chicken fajitas cook in about 20 minutes, making them perfect for a busy night.
I marinate the chicken for 15-30 minutes using my favorite chicken fajita seasoning: chili powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cumin combined with lime juice. I mix the peppers and onions with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
If you want to cook everything on an outdoor grill, put the peppers and onions in a cast iron skillet. If you don’t have a grill, just cook the chicken on a grill pan and the vegetables in a skillet on your stove.
Once the chicken is cooked, slice it into strips and combine with the peppers and onions. Put the mixture in a tortilla along with any other of your favorite fajita toppings.
What topping go on fajitas?
The most popular toppings for fajitas are grilled onions and bell peppers, but they’re also commonly topped with shredded cheese, pico de gallo, guacamole, and sour cream.
What do you serve with chicken fajitas?
Mexican chicken fajitas are usually served with rice and beans, but corn is another great side. If you’re looking to keep the carb count down, cauliflower rice is an excellent option. And don’t forget the margaritas!
Chicken Fajita Variations:
- To save carbs, use a big lettuce leaf instead of a tortilla to wrap around the fajita fillings. You can also serve the chicken and veggies over lettuce as a salad. Add fresh avocado and use salsa as a dressing.
- Swap the chicken for skirt or flank steak.
- For a healthier substitute for sour cream, try plain Greek yogurt.
More Mexican Recipes You’ll Love:
- Skillet Mexican Zucchini
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Baked Mexican Layer Dip
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
- Mexican Shrimp Diablo
- 16 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red bell pepper cut into strips
- 1 green or poblano pepper cut into strips
- 1 medium onion cut into strips
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- pinch ancho or Mexican chili powder to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 8 reduced-carb whole wheat flour tortillas or corn tortillas for gf
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded Mexican cheese
- reduced fat sour cream optional
- guacamole optional
- Marinate the chicken with lime juice, and season with chile powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cumin.
- Season vegetables with salt and pepper and toss with olive oil.
- To grill the onions and peppers outside on the grill, use a cast iron skillet and grill covered over medium heat until tender, about 15 minutes. Or, to cook them indoors, you can use a large skillet on the stove over medium heat for 16 to 18 minutes, covered until the onions and peppers are soft.
- Heat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan over medium heat; grill chicken until cooked through, about 8 minutes on each side.
- Transfer to a cutting board when done and cut into strips. Once cooked, combine with the peppers and onions.
- Serve immediately with warmed tortillas, cheese and toppings.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.