Skinny Chicken Fajitas
Skinny Chicken Fajitas made with lean strips of chicken breast, bell peppers and onions served sizzling hot with warm tortillas and shredded cheese. If this is your idea of delicious, you are not alone!
My husband Tommy is a creature of habit; anytime we go out for Mexican he always orders chicken fajitas. In fact when we went to Mexico a few years ago, he may have ordered them almost every night! I find that amusing because I get really bored of eating the same thing twice, and tend to always take a chance and try something completely new to me.
But chicken fajitas are a regular in my home, we make them at least once a month and the whole family enjoys them. My younger daughter Madison likes her bell peppers raw, so I chop some up and just set them aside for her and cut up the chicken. You can make the whole thing outside on the grill using a cast iron skillet to cook the peppers and onions as we usually do in the summer, or you can cook this indoors in a skillet. Enjoy!
Skinny Chicken Fajitas
- 16 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 green or poblano pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, cut into strips
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- pinch ancho or Mexican chili powder, to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 8 reduced-carb whole wheat flour tortillas, or corn tortillas for gf
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded Mexican cheese
- reduced fat sour cream, optional
- guacamole, optional
- Marinate the chicken with lime juice, and season with chile powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cumin.
- Season vegetables with salt and pepper and toss with olive oil.
- To grill the onions and peppers outside on the grill, use a cast iron skillet and grill covered over medium heat until tender, about 15 minutes. Or, to cook them indoors, you can use a large skillet on the stove over medium heat for 16 to 18 minutes, covered until the onions and peppers are soft.
- Heat an outdoor grill or indoor grill pan over medium heat; grill chicken until cooked through, about 8 minutes on each side.
- Transfer to a cutting board when done and cut into strips. Once cooked, combine with the peppers and onions.
- Serve immediately with warmed tortillas, cheese and toppings.