This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
This BBQ Chicken Quesadilla is a fun twist on traditional quesadillas. Made with chicken breast, BBQ sauce, cheese, red onion and cilantro on a high fiber whole wheat tortilla.
BBQ Chicken Quesadilla
I love quesadillas, they make a quick lunch or light dinner and the kids love them! You can make them so many ways. Some favorites are Chicken Quesadillas, Picadillo Quesadillas and even these Cuban Sandwich Quesadillas, so it’s great to add new ideas to the list.
I’m excited to share this recipe from my friend Lisa’s (aka Hungry girl) new cookbook, Hungry Girl Simply Six where she uses 6 main ingredients for each recipe plus spices. Her book is filled with easy low-calorie dishes that are not just easy to whip up, but also look delish!
Variations and tips:
- Use leftover rotisserie shredded chicken breast to save time.
- To make them gluten-free, use Siete GF tortillas, you may need to use two as they are smaller.
- Play around with different cheese options, I think pepper jack would taste great.
- Add some avocado for a hint of creaminess and boost of healthy fats.
More quesadilla and taco recipes:
- Buffalo Burger Quesadilla
- Shrimp Quesadillas with Avocado Tomato Salsa
- Pulled Pork Carnitas
- Cilantro Lime Fish Tacos
- Union Cantina Lobster Tacos
BBQ Chicken Quesadilla
These BBQ Chicken Quesadillas are a fun twist on traditional quesadillas. Made with chicken breast, BBQ sauce, cheese, red onion and cilantro on a high fiber whole wheat tortilla.
Yield: 1 serving
Serving Size: 1 quesadilla
- One 3-oz. raw boneless skinless chicken breast cutlet
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp BBQ sauce with 45 calories or less per 2-tbsp. serving, plus more for serving
- 1 large high-fiber flour tortilla with 110 calories or less, I used Ole Xtreme
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican-blend cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- nonstick spray
- Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with seasonings, and cook for about 4 minutes per side, until cooked through.
- Once cool enough to handle, roughly chop. In a small bowl, coat chicken with BBQ sauce.
- Lay tortilla flat, and spread BBQ chicken onto one half. Top chicken with remaining ingredients.
- Clean skillet, if needed. Respray and return to medium-high heat. Cook the half-loaded tortilla for 2 minutes.
- Fold the bare tortilla half over the filling with a spatula, and press lightly to seal. Carefully flip and cook until crispy, about 3 minutes.
- Slice into wedges.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Serving: 1 quesadilla, Calories: 325 kcal, Carbohydrates: 32.5 g, Protein: 32 g, Fat: 10 g, Saturated Fat: 4.5 g, Cholesterol: 7.5 mg, Sodium: 752 mg, Fiber: 6.5 g, Sugar: 6 g