Chocolate Stout Cupcakes with Bailey’s Irish Cream Cheese Frosting
St. Patrick’s Day inspired me to create this skinny adult treat. Pinterest can be such a time suck, but it also sparks creativity. After seeing this chocolate stout cake on Ambrosia Baking, a light bulb lit up in my head. I could mess around with my last chocolate cake recipes and use beer in the mix. I found the Double Chocolate Stout in Trader Joe’s, but Guinness would work too.
As for the frosting, I knew I wanted to use Bailey’s, but I couldn’t imagine just how good they would be when combined.
Folks, this was a big success, so if you have a St Patrick’s Day party to go to I highly recommend bringing these. You can double the recipe for more.
Chocolate Stout Cupcakes with Bailey's Irish Cream Cheese Frosting
Yes, you read that right, there is ale in the cupcakes and Bailey’s in the frosting! I guess it’s safe to call these grown-up cupcakes, and boy are they good!!
For the Bailey’s frosting:
- 5.5 oz 1/3 less fat Philly Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tsp Bailey’s Irish Cream
For the cupcakes:
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 7 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup stout
- 4 oz unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tbsp canola oil
- cooking spray
- Combine all the frosting ingredients in a medium bowl and mix until smooth with an electric mixer.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a cupcake tin with 12 liners and lightly spray liners with oil (to prevent sticking).
- In a large bowl sift together all the dry ingredients; sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl combine the wet ingredients (egg through canola oil) and beat until smooth.
- With a mixer, slowly add the sifted flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour into cupcake liners and bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Yield: 12 servings, Serving Size: 1 cupcake with frosting
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 8
- Points +: 5
- Calories: 189 calories
- Total Fat: 6.5g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: 214.5mg
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Sugar: 19.5g
- Protein: 3.5g