You’ll only need FIVE ingredients (not counting salt and pepper) to make this delicious, quick, and easy cream of zucchini soup that my family’s been enjoying for years!
Cream of Zucchini Soup
This creamy zucchini soup is one of the first recipes I ever posted on this blog, back when I hardly knew how to use a camera. It’s a favorite in my house and so EASY to make. It takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish, and one large bowl is only 60 calories! For more healthy creamy soup recipes, try my Cream of Asparagus Soup, Creamy Cauliflower Soup, and Cream of Broccoli Soup. And see more zucchini recipes here!
My brother recently gave me a bunch of giant zucchinis, so I’ve been making all kinds of zucchini recipes. This cream of zucchini soup is an excellent way to use oversized zucchinis. I like to top mine with a drizzle of olive oil and freshly grated cheese, but that’s completely optional. You can add fresh herbs, yellow squash, or whatever you wish. Enjoy!
How to Make Zucchini Soup
- Boil: This recipe calls for three medium zucchinis, which weigh about eight ounces each. Bring the broth, onion, garlic, and zucchini to a boil over medium heat.
- Simmer: Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Puree: Remove the pot from the heat and puree with an immersion blender. If you only have a regular blender, let the soup cool a bit and fill the blender halfway to puree.
- Season: Add the sour cream, blend it again, and then season with salt and pepper. If your soup is thinner than you would like, add more zucchini.
Does zucchini freeze well in soup?
Yes, you can freeze zucchini soup just like any other soup. Store it in small containers or zip-locked bags and freeze for three to four months. When you’re ready to eat it, thaw it overnight in the fridge and reheat it in the microwave or on the stove until warm. In the fall, when you’re missing summer, this creamy zucchini soup will be the perfect treat.
What to Serve with Cream of Zucchini Soup
Serve this healthy zucchini soup with some crusty bread to make it a meal or as a starter with any dinner. It would pair nicely with pesto shrimp skewers, breaded pork chops, lasagna roll-ups, or cavatelli with corn.
- Cream: Swap sour cream for Greek yogurt or cream cheese.
- Zucchini: Sub yellow squash for zucchini.
- Vegetarian: Make vegetarian zucchini soup by subbing vegetable broth for chicken broth and double check that your sour cream doesn’t have gelatin.
- Vegan: Use vegetable broth and soy yogurt for a vegan and dairy-free version.
- Onions: Substitute red onion or shallots.
- Herbs: Add fresh basil or thyme.
More Zucchini Recipes You’ll Love:
- Zucchini Tots
- Grilled Zucchini
- Santa Fe Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Veggie Lasagna Stuffed Zucchini
- Zucchini Pie
Cream of Zucchini Soup
- 1/2 small onion, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 medium zucchini, skin on cut in large chunks
- 32 oz reduced sodium Swanson chicken broth, or vegetable
- 2 tbsp reduced fat sour cream
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- fresh grated parmesan cheese if desired for topping, optional
- Combine chicken broth, onion, garlic and zucchini in a large pot over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and purée with an immersion blender, add the sour cream and purée again until smooth.
- Taste for salt and pepper and adjust to taste. Serve hot.