I LOVE cream of asparagus soup, it’s pure comfort in a bowl and so simple to make. This recipe is made with just 5 ingredients, not counting salt and pepper and is ready under 25 minutes!
Cream of Asparagus Soup
This light and healthy, cream of asparagus soup is made with no cream, it’s simply pureed with a little sour cream, which you can totally omit if you want to keep it dairy free. I watered a little sour cream down and drizzled a little more on top. Under 100 calories and perfect as a first course or to serve with a sandwich or a salad. You can see more Soup Recipes here!
How to Make Creamed Soups Without The Cream
Creamed soups don’t have to be loaded with heavy cream. There are several ways you can make your own creamy soups. First, get yourself an immersion blender (affil link) if you don’t already own one. This is probably my all time favorite kitchen gadget. It’s so much easier than putting hot soup into a blender in several batches, trust me!
- The simple act of pureeing your soup once cooked can transform your soup into a creamy delicious soup. This works great with beans, legumes or vegetable soups. To do so, use slightly less broth or liquid than you normally would.
- Add a potato along with your vegetables to further thicken your soup when you puree. This is great for soups with leafy greens or if you want to make your soup more substantial.
- Make a roux or a slurry. My dad always made a roux in his creamy cauliflower soup which was my favorite soup growing up. I’ll talk more about making a roux or slurry in a minute.
- When you want the taste of cream, adding a few tablespoons of sour cream is my favorite way to get that creamy flavor you get from heavy cream as I did in this soup.
More Asparagus Recipes You Will Love:
- Asparagus with Lentils and Poached Egg
- Chicken and Asparagus Lemon Stir Fry
- Chicken Teriyaki Asparagus Stir Fry
- Grilled Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
- Roasted Asparagus with Dijon Vinaigrette
Cream of Asparagus Soup
- Melt butter over low heat in a large pot. Add onion and sauté until soft, about 2-minutes.
- Cut the asparagus in half and add to the pot along with chicken broth and black pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil, cover and cook low about 20 minutes or until asparagus is very tender.
- Remove from heat, add sour cream and using your hand held blender, puree until smooth (or in two batches in a large blender).