Fish Florentine – The BEST Fish Recipe!
This easy Fish Florentine recipe, made with a pan seared firm white fish served on a creamy bed of spinach feels like something you would order out in a fancy restaurant!
I love fish and try to eat it once or twice a week. You can see all my fish recipes here! This recipe takes under 30 minutes to make, the creamy spinach is what makes the whole dish, made with a little cream cheese, half & half cream and Parmesan cheese. It’s dreamy, delicious and the perfect pairing for the simple white fish.
I adapted this dish from this recipe I found online, which I lightened up simply by reducing the butter, oil, Parmesan and cream cheese. I had reduced-fat cream cheese on hand so I used that instead and it turned out amazing! Rich and decadent and feels like it should be a lot more calories!
- Any firm, white boneless fillet would be great, I choose local and ask my fishmonger for the freshest options available. Here I used cod, but halibut, or sea bass would make a great option.
- For a thinner piece of fish, adjust the cook time so you don’t over-cook it.
- When fresh fish is available, wait until the day or day before to buy it before you are going to cook it.
- If fresh isn’t available, buy frozen instead of previously frozen to control freshness and keep it frozen until you need it.
- Frozen fish fillets are great to keep on hand in the freezer. You can defrost them overnight in the fridge or pull from from the freezer and put them in an ice bath (in the package if they are individually wrapped or in a sealed Ziploc) for about 30 minutes
- Swap the fish for chicken breast, scallops or shrimp if you’re not a fan of fish.
How To Make Fish Florentine
More Fish Recipes:
- Baked Salmon with Fresh Herbs
- Ahi Tuna Poke Bowl
- Skillet Fish Fillet with White Wine and Capers
- Healthy Baked Fish Sticks
- Flounder Milanese
- 4 5 oz thick pieces of skinless white firm fish fillet (such as grouper, bass or halibut)
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 cup red bell pepper chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 9 ounces fresh baby spinach, from two bags
- 2 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese, I like Philadelphia
- ¼ cup half & half cream
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- kosher salt
- fresh black pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat add 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and 1/2 tablespoon of butter, red bell pepper and garlic and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add spinach season with a pinch of salt and pepper mix until the spinach wilts down.
- Add cream cheese, half & half and parmesan cheese mix well until cream cheese is melted and resembles creamed spinach.
- Heat a separate skillet on medium high heat, add remaining oil and butter.
- Season fish on both sides with salt and pepper and place on the hot pan.
- Cook 6 minutes on first side and flip fish over and cook other side an additional 5 minutes, until cooked through and browned.
- Divide the spinach mixture on the bottom of each plate and top with piece of fish.
Photo Credit: Jess Larson