Asparagus and Lentils with Poached Egg is an impressive-looking brunch dish perfect for Spring.
Asparagus and Lentils with Poached Egg
The cooked lentils are tossed in a Dijon vinaigrette. The yolk from the poached egg makes a velvety sauce over the roasted asparagus and lentils.
Crisped proscuitto or bacon could also be added if you want to add some meat to this dish, although I thought it was pretty perfect as is. This recipe is from the Pulse Revolution Cookbook written by Tami Hardeman, who is also a food stylist who worked on my latest cookbook.
Her book features 150 creative superfood vegetarian recipes – everything from breakfast to dessert. All the recipes have the macros listed. The chickpea and cherry salad is on my list to try as soon as cherries are in season! Pulses are a class of legume which are harvested after they’ve been dried from the pod such as dry beans, lentils, dry peas and chickpeas. They come in all sizes from tiny beluga lentils to giant fava beans.
In this recipe, Tami calls for cooked lentils. I cooked them according to package directions, then rinsed them after but you can also buy them precooked to save time.
More Lentil Recipes You Will Love
- Lentil Salad
- Lentil Soup with Butternut and Kale
- Chicken and Lentil Soup
- Lentil Curry
- Lebanese Lentil Soup
Asparagus and Green Lentils with Poached Egg
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Toss asparagus with 1 tbsp oil, arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer and season with salt and pepper. Roast about 10 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile make the dressing, in a medium bowl combine the red wine vinegar, Dijon, thyme, and remaining tablespoon oil. Whisk until emulsified. Add lentils and stir to combine. Set aside and let lentils absorb the dressing.
- To poach the eggs, fill a large saucepan with water, about 1 1/2 inches deep. Bring water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add white vinegar. One at a time crack the eggs into a ramekin and tip egg into water. Cook 3 minutes. Remove and place on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb water.
- To serve divide asparagus on 4 plates, top with dressed lentils and place one egg on top. Season with pepper and serve right away.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.