Chicken and Lentil Soup
This delicious, hearty chicken and lentil soup made with cilantro, cumin and spices is perfect for warming your belly on those cold winter nights. What’s more, it’s easy to make, economical and very satisfying.
I’ve been making this soup for years, my family loves it – including my toddler (to my surprise)! It makes a big pot which means plenty of leftovers for lunch. It freezes well and can be reheated with a little water if it gets too thick.
Lentils were actually the first legumes I liked as a kid. My mom would me a similar soup with carrots and celery and since I was picky – she usually pureed mine. I also have an Instant Pot Chicken and Lentil Soup if you want to make this faster!
I love preparing them because they cook so much quicker than dried beans, and a small amount goes a long way. They are high in protein, Vitamin B, folate and soluble fiber and have twice as much iron as other legumes. You can easily cut this recipe in half or freeze left-overs for lunch which is what I like to do. Chicken breast would work in place of thighs if you prefer white meat. Ground annato (also known as achiote) is commonly used in Latin cuisine, it’s used mostly to add color and adds a subtle flavor, but if you can’t find it paprika would work instead.
More Lentil Recipes You May Enjoy:
- Lentil Bowls with Avocado, Egg and Cholula
- Asparagus with Green Lentils and Poached Egg
- Creamy Lentil Soup
- Lentil Salad
- Lentils and Rice with Bacon and Egg
Chicken and Lentil Soup
- 1 lb dried lentils
- 12 oz 3 boneless skinless chicken thighs, all fat trimmed
- 8 cups water
- 1 tbsp chicken Better than Bouillon
- 1 small onion
- 2 scallions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 medium ripe tomato
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground annato, or Spanish paprika, or even Sazon
- salt, to taste
- In a large pot combine lentils, chicken, water and chicken bullion.
- Bring to a boil, covered over medium-low heat until chicken is cooked, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken and shred, return to the pot
- Meanwhile, in a chopper or by hand, mince the onions, scallions, cilantro, garlic, and tomato.
- Add to the lentils with garlic powder, cumin, oregano and annato and cook, covered until the lentils are soft, about 25 more minutes, adding more water as needed if too thick.
- Adjust salt to taste as needed.