Lentils and Rice with Eggs and Bacon is perfect for busy families looking for delicious, healthy weeknight meals. They are economic, easy to prepare and make enough for plenty of leftovers!
Lentils and Rice
Although my family goes wild over this Chicken and Lentil Soup recipe, we also love this lentil dish served over brown rice. My aunt shared her family recipe with me, which she eats topped with hard boiled egg and bacon, but I also love it topped with a runny egg. If you want to keep it vegetarian you can swap the bacon with avocado.
What gives them all the flavor is the guiso which is a simple combination of sauteed scallions, garlic and tomato that you add to the lentils at the end. Leftovers can be refrigerated and reheated throughout the week, if it gets too thick simply add a little water to loosen it while reheating.
More Lentil Recipes You May Enjoy:
- Lentil Bowls with Avocado, Egg and Cholula
- Asparagus with Green Lentils and Poached Egg
- Creamy Lentil Soup
- Lentil Salad
- Chicken and Lentil Soup
Lentils and Rice with Eggs and Bacon
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 1/2 cups small green lentils, rinsed well
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced tomato
- 1/3 cup chopped scallion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 7 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 5 large hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 5 slices cooked center cut bacon
- 2 tbsp scallion, chopped
- kosher salt, to taste
- Combine carrots, lentils, broth, bay leaf and water in a large pot or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a large skillet over medium heat with oil. Add oil, scallions and garlic and cook 2 1/2 minutes. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper and cook 2 1/2 minutes, stirring.
- Stir into the lentils after they have cooked 30 minutes, then cook an additional 10 minutes covered.
- To serve, ladle 2/3 cup of lentils over 3/4 cup rice. Top with 1/2 chopped egg, 1/2 slice chopped bacon, scallions and salt, to taste.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
I was asked to participate in the #TheSimpleLentil campaign, sponsored by Canadian Lentils. Although I have been compensated, all opinions are my own.