Make this easy, healthy Spaghetti Squash AND Meat Sauce all at the same time with this delicious one-pot meal ready in under thirty minutes when made in the pressure cooker or slow cooker! This is the easiest way to make spaghetti squash whole, no cutting before it’s cooked, just poke some holes all over and cook it!
One-Pot Spaghetti Squash and Meat Sauce
More spaghetti squash recipes I love to make are Baked Spaghetti Squash and Cheese, Turkey Taco Spaghetti Squash Boats and Spaghetti Squash with Bacon and Parmesan.
To be completely honest, my kids don’t care for spaghetti squash. That’s why I boil some pasta on the side for them to serve with the meat sauce – everyone’s happy! I’ve been getting tons of requests for more Instant Pot (affiliate link) recipes so my goal is to share one new pressure cooker recipe per week. If you don’t have a pressure cooker, this can also be made in the slow cooker 6 to 8 hours on low.
And since so many are asking, although I have and love my Instant Pot, I still love my slow cooker! I have the 6 Quart Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget Programmable Slow Cooker (affil link). I love it because you can adjust the time you want it to cook. It also automatically turns to warm when it’s done. It also has a probe for meat that automatically shuts off when done. I hated my old crock pot, it burnt everything and my food had a weird taste. This slow cooker is so great, I actually own several!
How to cook a spaghetti squash whole without cutting:
I was experimenting a few weeks ago to see if I can make the spaghetti squash in the Instant pot without having to cut it and it came out perfect. Here’s what I did:
- First I poked some holes all over with a sharp pairing knife about 15 times.
- Then I set it on top of my sauce without letting it mix too much.
- After it cooked, I carefully removed it from the pot, let it cool and cut it open. Remove the seeds then use a fork to remove the spaghetti like strands from the shell.
- Discard the shell and place the spaghetti squash in a colander to drain as there will be a lot of liquid. You can also squeeze it with a cheesecloth to remove excess water.
- Serve hot with your sauce on top.
I always save my cheese rinds when I buy Parmesan or Romano cheese, and keep them in my freezer for soups and sauce. They are flavor bombs, I highly recommend but omit for dairy-free, paleo or Whole30! Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.
More Spaghetti Squash Recipes:
- Beef and Mushroom Ragu with Spaghetti Squash
- Spaghetti Squash Pesto with Tomatoes
- Spaghetti Squash Enchilada Bowls
- Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Bowls
One-Pot Spaghetti Squash and Meat Sauce (Pressure Cooker and Slow Cooker)
- 1 lb 93% ground beef
- 1 small chopped onion
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes, I LOVE Tuttorosso
- bay leaf
- pecorino romano cheese rind, optional, omit whole30
- 1 Large, 4 lb spaghetti squash (makes 6 1/2 cups cooked)
- grated cheese for topping, optional, omit whole30
- Sauté the beef with onion, garlic, salt, pepper. Added crushed tomatoes, bay leaf and cheese rind, stir. Pierce the spaghetti squash all over with a knife and place over the sauce. Cook high pressure 15 minutes, or until the skin of squash easily gives when pressed with a spoon. Let the pressure release, discard bay leaf and rind and transfer the squash to a bowl to let cool.
- When cool enough to handle, cut in half with a large knife, discard the seeds and scoop the strands out with a fork. Place in a colander to drain well (I use paper towels as well to soak up any excess moisture) then serve sauce over squash with grated cheese if desired.
- For the slow cooker, saute meat as above in skillet, transfer to slow cooker with remaining ingredients as listed above and cook low 6 to 8 hours.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
- Back To School
- Beef Recipes
- Budget Friendly Meals
- Dairy Free
- Dinner Ideas
- Egg Free Recipes
- Gluten Free
- Ground Beef Recipes
- Italian Inspired Recipes
- One Pot Recipes
- Pressure Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Recipes
- Spaghetti Squash
- Under 30 Minutes
- Weight Watchers – WW Recipes
- Whole30 Recipes