Spaghetti Squash with Bacon and Parmesan
Roasted spaghetti squash with bacon and Parmesan cheese is a great way to top spaghetti squash for an easy, tasty, low-carb side dish. Although there are several methods to cook spaghetti squash, my favorite way to make it is roasted. To roast the squash, I cut it on half lengthwise, remove the seeds and cook it cut down for about one hour.
I personally think bacon and cheese make everything better, so I love the combination here. It’s a simple side dish that uses just a few ingredients. You can easily double it if you wish to make more.
Tips for preparing spaghetti squash:
If you are baking this winter squash, you don’t have to peel it. Cut the squash in half lengthwise or down the middle for longer strands, scoop out the seeds and bake. Alternatively you can leave the squash whole, pierce a few times with a paring knife, and microwave until the skin is soft and gives, about 8 to 10 minutes depending on the size.
For more easy spaghetti squash recipes, try:
Bacon Parmesan Spaghetti Squash
Roasted spaghetti squash with bacon and Parmesan cheese is a great way to top spaghetti squash for an easy, tasty, low-carb side dish.
- 4 slices center cut bacon, sliced
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (yields 3 cups cooked)
- pinch Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup course grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- fresh black pepper, to taste
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add the bacon and cook until crisp, about 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel with a slotted spoon.
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Cut the squash in half lengthwise, and use a spoon to scrape out the seeds and soft yellow strands. Lightly season with salt and pepper, place the squash face down on the baking sheet and bake for 60 to 65 minutes or until the flesh easily pierces with a fork.
- When soft, transfer to a bowl and combine with olive oil, parmesan, and bacon.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 2
- Points +: 3
- Calories: 109 calories
- Total Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 8.5mg
- Sodium: 239mg
- Carbohydrates: 5.3g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 2g
- Protein: 6g