My favorite way to cook spaghetti squash is roasted in the oven. Follow this easy recipe to learn how!
Roasted Spaghetti Squash
Spaghetti squash is so healthy and versatile. One of the best and tastiest ways to prepare it is roasted in the oven. To eat, you can simply enjoy it drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper or treat it like a pasta alternative and serve it topped your favorite bolognese sauce, Slow Cooker Beef Ragu or marinara sauce. I also love it in this cheesy baked Spaghetti Squash “Mac” and Cheese and this Spaghetti Squash Lasagna.
Is Spaghetti Squash Healthy?
Spaghetti squash is considered a nutrient-dense food, which means it’s low in calories but high in vitamins and minerals. In particular, spaghetti squash is a good source of fiber, vitamin C, manganese, and vitamin B6.
How To Cut Spaghetti Squash
The trickiest part for many people who want to make spaghetti squash is cutting it. To make this easier, you can microwave it 2 to 3 minutes before cutting. This will make it easier to cut.
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash
Roasting spaghetti squash is my preferred method, but you can also cook it in the microwave or slow cooker.
- Roast it in the oven: Cut the squash in half and roast it on a sheet pan 350F for about 1 hour until the skin gives easily when pressed.
- Microwave Method: For a quicker way to make spaghetti squash, you can do it in the microwave. Prick the outside of the squash 8 to 10 times then place in the microwave for 6 minutes on high. Turn and cook an additional 6 minutes, until the skin gives easily when pressed. Remove from the microwave and let it cool about 8 to 10 minutes (the inside will be very hot). Use a large knife to cut the squash in half horizontally, there should be no resistance. If there is, you may need to cook it a few more minutes. Remove the seeds and use a fork to scrape out the spaghetti-like strands of squash.
- Slow Cooker Method: Prick outside of squash 8 to 10 times and place in a slow cooker. Pour 1/2 cup water into the slow cooker and cook on Low 4 to 6 hours. Remove squash, let it cool, 15 minutes. Halve the squash lengthwise. Scoop seeds out and shred the flesh from the skin with a fork to make strands.
More spaghetti squash recipes:
- Turkey Taco Boats in Spaghetti Squash
- Spaghetti Squash Enchilada Boats
- Spaghetti Squash “Mac” and Cheese
- Beef and Mushroom Ragu with Spaghetti Squash
- Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats
Roasted Spaghetti Squash
- 1 large ripe spaghetti squash
- salt and fresh pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and fibers with a spoon.
- Place on a baking sheet, cut side up and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 350° about 1 hour or until the skin gives easily under pressure and the inside is tender. Remove from oven and let it cool 10 minutes.
- Using a fork, scrape out the squash flesh a little at a time. It will separate into spaghetti-like strands.
- Place in a serving dish and serve hot.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
- 5 Ingredients or Less
- Budget Friendly Meals
- Dairy Free
- Egg Free Recipes
- Gluten Free
- How To Make: Simple Recipes for Beginners
- Keto Recipes
- Lenten Friendly Recipes
- Low Carb
- Spaghetti Squash
- Thanksgiving Recipes
- Vegan Recipes
- Vegetarian Meals
- Weight Watchers – WW Recipes
- Whole30 Recipes