This is the BEST Bolognese Sauce Recipe, and it’s easy to make. It’s a staple in my home, I make a big batch and have meals for several nights.
What is Bolognese Sauce?
Bolognese sauce is a ground beef ragú made with pancetta, onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes, wine, and cream. My easy version has been lightened up. It’s perfect to make for guests when you need an easy dish to impress simply served over pasta, and also great to make once and reheat for another night. It also freezes well, so I usually make a batch and freeze the rest.
How Long Can You Keep it in the Refrigerator?
Once cooked, you can store it in the fridge 3 to 4 days, or you can freeze it in an airtight container or heavy duty freezer safe bag for up to 6 months. To reheat, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator then reheat in a pot.
How To Make The Best Bolognese Sauce
Bolognese sauce is a ground beef ragú made with pancetta, onions, carrots, celery, tomatoes, wine, and cream. I decided to tweak my recipe to make this lighter version by using lean chopped beef, reducing the butter and using half and half instead of heavy cream.
- 4 oz pancetta, chopped (or center cut bacon)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, minced
- 1/2 cup carrots, minced
- 1 lb 95% lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 – 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes (I love Tuttorosso)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and fresh pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup half & half
- In a deep heavy saute pan, sauté pancetta until fat melts.
- Add butter, onions, celery and carrots and cook on medium-low heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Increase flame to medium-high, add meat, season with salt and pepper and sauté until browned.
- Add wine, cook until it reduces down, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and bay leaf. Simmer covered on low, at least 1-1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add half & half and parsley, cook 2 minutes longer.
Yield: 16 servings, Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 4
- Points +: 3
- Calories: 120 calories
- Total Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 77.5mg
- Sodium: 335mg
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Sugar: 4g
- Protein: 7.5g