Baked ziti is a favorite comfort dish in my home! Adding spinach is a quick and easy way to get more leafy greens into your family’s diet without complaints.
Baked Ziti with Spinach
A great dish for Meatless Mondays, or any day of the week. We eat it with a garden salad, the portions and generous and satisfying. More baked pasta dishes I love are Chicken Parmesan Lasagna and Three Cheese Stuffed Zucchini Lasagna Rolls. Also this Sausage and Peppers Macaroni Casserole.
I’m reviving this from the archives to update the photos. This makes enough for eight, so if you have a small family, you’ll probably have leftovers for lunch or freeze the rest for convenient freezer meals. This can be assembled a day ahead and kept refrigerated, let it sit at room temperature 30 minutes before baking.
More Pasta Bake Recipes:
- Baked Pasta with Sausage and Spinach
- Spinach Lasagna Roll Ups
- Baked Beef and Cheese Manicotti
- Baked Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese
- Chicken Sausage and Peppers Macaroni Casserole
Baked Ziti with Spinach
- 12 oz uncooked ziti, wheat or gluten-free
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes, I recommend: Tuttorosso
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 oz package frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- kosher salt and fresh pepper to taste
- 8 oz fat-free ricotta
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded part skim mozzarella , (8 oz total) (I recommend: Polly-O)
- olive oil cooking spray,
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with oil spray.
- In a large pot of salted water, cook pasta according to instructions until al dente (I like to under-cook it 3 or 4 minutes as it will cook more in the oven). Drain and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, add olive oil and sauté garlic. Add chopped spinach, salt, pepper and crushed tomatoes. Season with basil, oregano, salt and pepper and cook 5 minutes.
- Add sauce to the pasta and combine. Add half of the mozzarella, Parmesan cheese and ricotta. Mix well then transfer to the baking pan.
- Pour the pasta mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Top with the remaining mozzarella and cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until mozzarella is melted and the edges are lightly browned. Let it cool 5 minutes before serving.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.