Shrimp cocktail is fine, but when I want something special, I like to have my zesty lime shrimp ceviche style!
Tossed with avocados, cucumbers, tomatoes, cilantro and fresh lime juice, and sometimes a serrano pepper for heat. Served in martini glasses, it’s the perfect appetizer for any special occasion and great for the Holidays.
This can be made ahead, but I would add the avocados right before serving so they don’t get brown.
Note: For food safety reasons, I used cooked shrimp. While the citrus juice “cooks” the fish, it doesn’t kill the bacteria. This isn’t an issue with raw fish, but it is with shellfish like shrimp it is. If you have access to fresh shrimp off the boat, then raw shrimp would be fine.
Shrimp Ceviche Cocktail
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 small limes, squeezed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb large cooked, peeled shrimp
- 1 medium hass avocado, diced into chunks
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 cup diced English cucumber, not peeled
- 1 serrano pepper, seeds removed and minced
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- 1 lime cut into wedges for serving
- 2 1/4 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- In a small bowl combine red onion, lime juice, olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper.
- Let them marinate at least 5 minutes to mellow the flavor of the onion.
- In a large bowl combine shrimp, avocado, tomato, cucumber, serrano pepper.
- Combine all the ingredients together, add cilantro and gently toss.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill nine martini glasses with shredded lettuce.
- Top each with 1/2 cup shrimp salad and garnish with a sprig of cilantro.
- Serve with a wedge of lime.