This healthy salad is made with cooked lentils and diced fresh diced carrots, celery, bell pepper, onion, parsley and lemon juice – perfect to make ahead for lunch for the week as the flavors only get better overnight. It’s also vegan, high in fiber, protein and only about 100 calories per serving.
I’ve LOVE making my chicken and lentil soup, but I was never really a fan of using lentils in a salad (I’m a picky legume eater). But the other day I bought a small lentil salad at my local health food store to try and take to the beach and really enjoyed it, but I paid twelve dollars a pound for it (for a small container). For that price I’ll make it myself for a fraction of what I paid, plus this makes a lot so you’ll get a few meals out of it. If you’re not a fan of lentils, you can use any legume such as white beans, chick peas or a mix.
This healthy salad is made with cooked lentils and diced fresh diced carrots, celery, bell pepper, onion, parsley and lemon juice – perfect to make ahead for lunch for the week as the flavors only get better overnight.
- 1 cup dry brown lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup finely diced carrots
- 1/3 cup finely diced celery
- 1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan combine lentils, bay leaf, and thyme.
- Add enough water to cover by 1 inch.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered until lentils are tender but not mushy, about 16 to 20 minutes.
- Drain lentils and discard bay leaf.
- Place in a large work bowl with carrots, celery, red pepper, red onion, parsley, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Toss to combine and serve chilled or room temperature.
Makes 4 1/2 cups.
Yield: 5 servings, Serving Size: scant cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 1
- Points +: 3
- Calories: 102 calories
- Total Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 255mg
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fiber: 9g
- Sugar: 1g
- Protein: 7g