Creamy Lentil Soup
A creamy bowl of lentil soup – made with cumin, cilantro and potato to thicken it is the perfect way to warm up on a cold November night.
When I was a kid, most of our meals started with a bowl of soup. Lentil soup was often on the menu; because I was such a picky eater, the only way Mom got me to eat it was by pureeing it in the blender – I loved it!
As an adult, I’m no longer picky and I love lentils every which way, but I still find a bowl of this creamy pureed soup comforting, especially on a cold night. This makes a great first course, or serve it with avocado, rice and salad on the side to make it a meal. This is perfect for meatless Mondays if you use vegetable broth, gluten-free and leftovers are perfect for lunch – enjoy!
Creamy Lentil Soup
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped scallions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 cup cup dried lentils
- 1 small red potato, peeled and diced
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- light sour cream
- 2 tbsp chopped scallions, for garnish
- Heat a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the oil, scallions, garlic and tomato to the pot, season with salt and pepper.
- Cook stirring until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1/4 cup cilantro, cumin and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the lentils, potato, broth and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook until the lentils become tender about 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf, and puree the soup in the blender in 2 batches (so it doesn’t explode) until very smooth.
- Adjust soup with salt and pepper to taste, then ladle into bowls and top with sour cream, scallions and cilantro, if desired; serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 1 1/3 cups
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 2
- Points +: 4
- Calories: 139 calories
- Total Fat: 1g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 582mg
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 10g
- Sugar: 2g
- Protein: 12g