Hearty and nourishing, this Instant Pot Lentil Soup with Chicken comes together in just 30 minutes with a handful of ingredients. Quick, easy, and leftovers store well in both the fridge and freezer!
Easy Instant Pot Lentil Soup
This lentil soup was one of the first recipes I ever made in the Instant Pot and it’s still one of my favorite recipes today.
For this Instant Pot lentil soup with chicken, I made some minor adjustments to my stove top Chicken and Lentil Soup. Basically, I reduced the liquid since nothing evaporates and I put all the ingredients in the pot at the same time then closed the pot, pressed the “soup” button and let it cook 30 minutes (stove top takes closer to 2 hours). When it was ready I didn’t even have to shred the chicken, it was so tender it fell apart with my spoon.
How EASY is that?! That’s my favorite thing about this recipe – it’s beyond easy and practically hands-off!
Why You’ll Love This Instant Pot Chicken and Lentil Soup
- Quick and easy. One reason I love making soup in the Instant Pot is that it cuts down the time needed. This lentil soup comes together in just 30 minutes! Just dump everything in the Instant Pot and go.
- Hearty and filling. With the lentils and chicken, a big bowl of this soup will keep you full for hours, without seeming too heavy. This is the perfect dinner for cold winter nights when you just need something nourishing!
- Great for leftovers. This soup stores well in the fridge for several days and can be frozen for up to 4 months. Perfect for meal prep!
For more Instant Pot lentil recipes, check out my lentil curry!
This Instant Pot lentil soup recipe is made with just a handful of ingredients. Scroll down to the recipe card below for measurements.
- Chicken – I usually use boneless skinless chicken thighs but chicken breast works too.
- Better than Bouillon – Adds the rich chicken flavor to the broth.
- Veggies – Onion, scallions, tomato
- Spices & aromatics – Garlic, cilantro, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, sazon seasoning, and salt flavor the soup.
Tips & Variations
- Do I need to soak the lentils first? Nope, just add them to the Instant Pot dry. No need to soak them first.
- Can I make this vegetarian? Sure, just omit the chicken and swap out the Better than Bouillon.
- Add more veggies. Feel free to add other veggies to your lentil soup, such as carrots and celery.
- Taste test before serving. You may want to add extra salt at the end – I always err on the side of adding too little to be able to add more later.
This hearty Instant Pot lentil soup makes an excellent meal on its own. I love to add a slice of crusty bread to soak up any broth leftover at the end. You can also serve it with a simple side salad to lighten it up a bit.
How To Store & Reheat Leftovers
- Fridge. Store leftover chicken and lentil soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Freezer. To freeze any leftovers, transfer to an air-tight freezer safe container and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Reheat. To reheat, transfer leftover soup to a sauce pot on the stove and slowly bring to a boil, then simmer until heated through.
More Instant Pot Recipes To Try
- Instant Pot Brown Rice
- Salisbury Steak Meatballs
- Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- Instant Pot Bolognese Sauce
Instant Pot Chicken and Lentil Soup
- 1 lb dried lentils
- 12 oz 3 boneless skinless chicken thighs, all fat trimmed
- 7 cups water
- 2 tbsp chicken Better than Bouillon
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 medium ripe tomato, diced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp sazon, I used my homemade blend or paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Place all the ingredients into the instant pot, stir and cover. Use “Soup” button and cook 30 minutes. When done and the pressure releases, shred the chicken and stir. Makes about 11 cups.