These low-carb Veggie Lasagna Zucchini Boats are basically hollowed out zucchinis stuffed with a veggie lasagna filling and baked in the oven with marinara sauce and melted cheese – SO GOOD!
Veggie Lasagna Zucchini Boats
If you’ve been following me for a while, you probably know how much I love zucchini boats; I have a turkey taco stuffed zucchini version, an Italian turkey sausage stuffed zucchini, a chicken enchilada stuffed zucchini, and a turkey santa-fe stuffed zucchini. This lasagna boat makes a great vegetarian option.
These zucchini boats are loaded with a ricotta cheese, spinach and bell pepper filling then topped with my quick homemade marinara. They are super filling, although the suggested serving is two, I couldn’t even finish them. I also couldn’t fit them all on one baking dish since my zucchinis where pretty large so I saved the others to bake the next day, but if you want to make them all either use a large dish or fit them in two dishes.
Because these are made with such few ingredients, the key to making them great is good quality ingredients. Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, fresh basil and good quality tomatoes to make the marinara are a must. For years, I’ve been talking about the only brand of canned tomatoes I use, Tuttorosso (green label). You just can’t make a bad sauce with them, anytime I try another brand I’m always disappointed. Tuttorosso took notice on how much I love their brand and ask me to partner with them to create a new recipe. These are perfect for summer, especially with the start of zucchini season, hope you enjoy!
How To Make Veggie Lasagna Zucchini Boats
More Zucchini Recipes
Veggie Lasagna Zucchini Boats
For the Filling:
For the marinara:
For the Zucchini Boats:
- 4 40 oz total medium zucchini
- 1 cup part skim shredded mozzarella, Polly-O
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until golden, careful not to burn, about 1 minute. Add crushed tomatoes, salt and black pepper to taste. Stir and reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 5 minutes, then add fresh basil.
- Heat a large nonstick saute pan over medium heat, add oil, onion, garlic and red pepper and season with 1/8 tsp salt. Cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the baby spinach and saute until wilted, about 1 minute.
- In a medium bowl add the ricotta, parmesan cheese and egg, mix well. Add the cooked vegetables and basil and mix.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and using a spoon or melon baller, scoop out flesh, leaving 1/4″ thick.
- Place 1/4 cup of sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 12″ baking dish, and place zucchini halves cut side up.
- Stuff the zucchini with ricotta mixture (scant 1/4 cup) and top each with 2 tbsp marinara, 2 tbsp mozzarella. Cover with foil and bake 40 to 45 minutes until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Disclosure: This recipe is sponsored by Tuttorosso. Thank you for supporting the brands I love that make Skinnytaste possible. All thoughts are always my own.