Crustless Summer Zucchini Pie
Crustless Summer Zucchini Pie is a simple savory pie made with zucchini, shallots, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese.
Crustless Zucchini Pie
If you’re looking for a tasty way to use up your summer zucchini, this Crustless Zucchini Pie is it! It is similar to a quiche and a frittata but with fewer eggs and more veggies. This pie makes a wonderful side dish for any meal, or you could serve it at a potluck or for brunch or lunch. I promise it’s the kind of dish people will come back for seconds! You might also enjoy Crustless Broccoli Cheddar Quiche, Tomato and Zucchini Frittata, and Easy Crustless Spinach and Feta Pie.
Zucchini Pie Tips
- You’ll need ten ounces (about two cups from two or three zucchini) of zucchini before the liquid is squeezed out.
- To save time shredding the zucchini, just throw it in the food processor.
- It’s super important to get all the liquid out of the zucchini before making the pie. Put the zucchini in a strainer over a bowl and sprinkle with a little salt. Let sit for about 15 minutes to draw out the liquid. Then, put the zucchini in a cheesecloth or dish towel, and give it a good squeeze to get out all the moisture.
You can refrigerate the zucchini pie for up to four days. Leftovers are great reheated for lunch.
To freeze any leftovers, wrap tightly with plastic and store in the freezer for up to three months. To reheat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and heat in the oven or microwave.
- If you don’t have any white whole wheat flour, you can use all purpose or wheat flour.
- To make a gluten-free zucchini pie, swap the flour for a gluten-free blend, such as Cup4Cup.
- Swap the mozzarella for Swiss or Asiago and the Parmesan for Pecorino Romano or feta.
- If you don’t have shallots, use red or yellow onions, and if no chives, sub with green onions.
- Flavor the pie with dry or fresh herbs like basil or oregano.
- Season with garlic powder or fresh garlic.
- Add other vegetables like bell pepper, artichoke hearts, or broccoli to switch up the flavors.
- Add grilled chicken to make it even more filling.
- If you don’t have a pie dish, bake the zucchini pie recipe in a 9” x 9” pan.
- You can double the recipe and bake in a 9” x 13” baking dish, or for smaller servings, bake the zucchini mixture in a muffin tin. Just make sure to adjust the baking time.
How To Make Crustless Zucchini Pie
MORE ZUCCHINI RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY:
- Zucchini Tots
- Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Skins
- Sauteed Zucchini with Plum Tomatoes
- Caramelized Onion, Red Pepper and Zucchini Frittata
- Orzo with Zucchini and Tomatoes
Crustless Summer Zucchini Pie
- 10 oz shredded zucchini, all liquid squeezed out
- 1/2 cup shallots, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup part skim mozzarella
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour, King Aurthur or GF flour mix
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup fat free milk
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- cooking spray, I used my misto
- Preheat oven to 400°. Lightly spray a pie dish with cooking spray or your misto.
- Combine zucchini, shallots, chives, and mozzarella cheese in a bowl.
- Sift flour and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients to the bowl and blend well.
- Combine with zucchini mixture and pour it into the pie dish.
- Top with parmesan cheese and bake 30-35 minutes or until knife comes out clean from the center.
- Let it stand at least 5 minutes before serving.