You won’t miss the carbs in these low-carb zucchini skins loaded with buffalo chicken and cheese made in the air fryer!
Buffalo Chicken Air Fryer Zucchini Skins
I’m a sucker for everything buffalo sauce, and these Air Fryer Zucchini Skins hit the spot! I top zucchini slices with spicy, creamy buffalo chicken and blue cheese and finish them off with a drizzle of blue cheese dressing and scallions. For a version with potatoes, try my Buffalo Chicken Potato Skins, and for more healthy buffalo chicken appetizers, try my Buffalo Chicken Dip, Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls, and Buffalo Chicken Meatballs.
I have a variation of these buffalo zucchini boats in my air fryer cookbook that I love, which inspired this recipe. They are a great way to get more veggies in your day! They also make an excellent low-carb appetizer, side dish, or afternoon snack and can easily scale up or down. If you want to make the chicken ahead, you can refrigerate it for up to four days.
Is zucchini good for a low-carb diet?
Zucchini is a delicious, low-carb vegetable that can take the place of many higher-carb foods like pasta. I love to switch up classic recipes by using zucchini to get a nutrient boost and reduce the carb count. Some of my favorites are these Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats and Zucchini Pork Dumplings.
Zucchini is a great source of many vitamins and minerals, including C, B6, and manganese and is also high in fiber and low in calories.
How to Make Buffalo Zucchini Skins
To get started, mix the chicken with cream cheese and hot sauce and slice your zucchini. Scoop out the pulp, and then season the zucchini with salt, garlic powder, and paprika.
Cook the zucchini in the air fryer for eight minutes and then spoon in the chicken and top with blue cheese. Cook a couple more minutes until the cheese melts. To serve, drizzle with blue cheese dressing and sprinkle with scallions.
VARIATIONS AND TIPS
- If you don’t have an air fryer, bake the loaded zucchini skins in the oven at 375 degrees for 15 min. Then add the chicken and bake for four more minutes.
- If you don’t like blue cheese or gorgonzola cheese, try them with mozzarella or cheddar cheese.
More Buffalo Chicken Recipes:
- Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Buffalo Chicken Strips
- Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Roll Ups
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Buffalo Chicken Egg Rolls
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Skins
Buffalo Chicken Stuffing:
- 7 ounce shredded skinless chicken breasts, from rotiserie chicken or make in slow cooker
- 1 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup Franks hot sauce, plus more for drizzling on top
- 4 teaspoons crumbled blue cheese or gorgonzola
- 1/4 cup light Blue Cheese or Ranch Dressing
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
- Combine the cream cheese and hot sauce together in a medium bowl until smooth. Add the chicken.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; then cut in half to give you 8 pieces. Scoop out the pulp on each piece, leaving a 1/4-inch shell on all sides (save pulp for another use).
- Place zucchini skins on a work surface. Spray both sides with olive oil then season both sides with salt, then cut side with garlic powder and paprika.
- Cook 350F in batches for 8 minutes, until tender-crisp. Place 3-4 tablespoons buffalo chicken inside each skin and top with 1/2 teaspoon cheese, dividing equally. Cook until cheese is melted, about 2 minutes longer. Serve right away each drizzled with 1/2 tablespoon blue cheese dressing topped with scallions for garnish. Serve hot.