This Buffalo Chicken Dip has everything you love about buffalo wings, only made into a dip – the perfect party appetizer, no messy hands! Make it in the oven with a rotisserie chicken or from scratch in the slow cooker.
Buffalo Chicken Dip
The BEST Buffalo Chicken Dip, it’s one of my go-to appetizers because everyone loves it!! It’s easy, you can make it ahead and it’s delicious! It’s also perfect for sharing with friends and a must for your Superbowl party!! You can make this in the slow cooker, or make it faster using a rotisserie chicken. A few more favorite party appetizers are my Mini Bell Peppers Loaded Turkey “Nachos”, Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip, and Baked Buffalo Chicken Jalapeño Poppers.
I’ve been making this buffalo dip for years because it’s always a hit when I serve it at any party. It’s much lighter than most buffalo dip recipes out there, but you would never know! To make buffalo chicken dip healthy, I use lean chicken breast and lighten it with Greek yogurt or fat-free sour cream. And of course, I use Frank’s hot sauce – a must! Lately I’ve been making this with a rotisserie chicken, which is the fastest method, then I bake it in the oven.
What to eat with Buffalo Dip:
These are some of my favorite dippers to serve with this dip:
- Serve it with fresh veggies like celery sticks and baby carrots
- Make it more substantial and serve it with baked chips or crackers.
- Leftovers are great used as a filling for sandwiches or egg rolls.
Buffalo Chicken Dip Ingredients:
- Shredded Chicken Breast: cooked in the crock pot or from a rotisserie chicken.
- Franks Hot Sauce: I use Franks original hot sauce, a must!
- Cream Cheese: I used reduced fat
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt: this replaces part of the cream cheese used in other recipes to make it lighter
- Crumbled Blue Cheese: Or swap it for cheddar cheese
- White Vinegar: just a little for flavor
- If you are planning on serving a larger crowd, I highly recommend doubling the recipe, the cook time will remain the same.
- You can prep this a day ahead then pop it in the oven 30 minutes before serving.
- Leftovers last 4 days in the refrigerator.
If you don’t like blue cheese, you can swap it for cheddar or mozzarella cheese. If you like it extra cheesy, you can top it with more cheddar and melt before serving.
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
Fastest Oven Method:
To bake this in the oven, you can use cooked shredded chicken breast from a rotisserie chicken, then mix all the ingredients and place them in a baking dish. Bake 350F until hot, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Crock Pot Method:
To make this in the slow cooker, cook the chicken breasts in water or broth 4 hours on high, then drain and shred the chicken with two forks. Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and cook low 2 to 3 hours, serve hot.
More Buffalo Chicken Recipes:
- Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Buffalo Chicken Strips
- Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Roll Ups
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- Buffalo Chicken Salad
Your comments are helpful!! If you’ve tried this lighter Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe or any other recipe on Skinnytaste, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear your thoughts, variations and feedback. And if you took some photos of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can re-share on my stories!
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, 16 ounces*
- 4 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened (Philadelphia)
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream or Greek yogurt, I prefer sour cream
- 1/2 cup Franks red hot sauce, or whatever hot sauce you like
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- scallions, optional for garnish
- cut up celery sticks and carrot sticks, for dipping
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe:
- To make the shredded chicken, place chicken in the slow cooker and add enough water or chicken broth to cover. Cook high 4 hours. Remove and shred with two forks, discard the liquid.
- Meanwhile, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, vinegar and hot sauce together until smooth. Add half of the blue cheese.
- Transfer to the slow cooker with the chicken, mixing well and return to the slow cooker, cook low 2 to 3 hours.
- Transfer to a serving dish and top with the remaining blue cheese, garnish with scallions. Serve hot.
Faster Oven Method with a Rotisserie Chicken:
- Buy a rotisserie chicken and remove the breast meat from the bones, removing the skin and shred. Save the rest of the chicken for another recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Place chicken in a large bowl, then mix the cream cheese, sour cream, vinegar and hot sauce together until smooth. Add half of the blue cheese and place them in a baking dish. Bake 350F until hot, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Photo credit: Jess Larson