Caramelized sweet potatoes and shallots are the bed for roasted chicken thighs and legs that come together in this one-pot healthy chicken dinner.
Turmeric Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
Baked sweet potatoes are even better when paired with chicken and seasoned with golden turmeric, ginger and lemon juice. Serve with a fall salad of mixed greens, sliced apples and blue cheese. This dish is a variation of this Turmeric Chicken with Roasted Beets.
There’s a chill in the air, perfect for making this baked chicken dish to warm up your home. It’s also easily adapted for a Whole30 diet. Easy to make, with readily available ingredients and very tasty. I make this often and left-overs are great as well. We probably make chicken 3 nights a week, if not more, you can see all my other chicken recipes here.
What does turmeric taste like?
Turmeric is mildly aromatic with scents of ginger. It’s often use in place of saffron to provide color and flavor.
Roasted Turmeric Chicken Variations and Tips
- I remove the skin to keep the calories lower, but I’ve also made it with the skin and it’s quite delicious both ways/
- You can use your favorite chicken pieces, I did a combination of drumsticks and thighs, but chicken breast on the bone is also great.
- Swap the sweet potatoes out for butternut squash or diced potatoes.
- Best to wear gloves when working with turmeric. It stains your hands like nothing else.
More Chicken Recipes
- Roast Chicken with Rosemary and Lemon
- Chicken Dal Curry
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- Chicken Coconut Curry
- Chicken Parmesan
Turmeric Roasted Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
- 2 large shallots, peeled and quartered
- 2 sweet potatoes or yams, peeled, sliced 1-inch thick and quartered (14 oz)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 skinless chicken drumsticks, on the bone
- 4 skinless chicken thighs, on the bone
- juice of 1 lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Herbs De Provence or poultry seasoning
- 1/3 cup white wine, (swap for chicken broth for whole30/paleo)
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the shallots, yams, together with the garlic, 1 teaspoon of turmeric, garlic powder, ginger, 1 teaspoon salt, and olive oil until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish or casserole pan and arrange in an even layer.
- Add the chicken to the mixing bowl and season with lemon juice, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon turmeric, and Herbs de Provence, toss to coat well.
- Transfer the chicken legs to the baking dish over the vegetables.
- Drizzle any of the remaining marinade over the top of the chicken and pour the wine around the sides of the dish.
- Cover with foil and roast 45 minutes, turn chicken and sweet potatoes and finish, uncovered, until the chicken is fork-tender and the sweet potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve.
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Photo credit: Jess Larson