Hot baked mozzarella sticks – I can’t think of a more popular finger food for both kids and adults alike. My oldest daughter Karina LOVES them and these never disappoint!
Baked Mozzarella Sticks
Made lighter and healthier with part-skim mozzarella then coated with crispy seasoned breadcrumbs and baked (not fried!) until hot and golden. Serve them with my quick marinara sauce and you have yourself an appetizer everyone will love! This would go great along side Mini Burger Bites for a party!
Baking them as opposed to frying and using part skim cheese doesn’t effect how good these are. The cheese still melts, see for yourself! See here for more Super Bowl party food ideas.
Of course, you’ll want to serve them hot right out of the oven, because like any cheese, as they cool they harden fast.
It actually took me several attempts to get these perfect. I played around with different brands of light string cheese to see which yielded the best results. The winner was Sargento part-skim, low-sodium. Although it’s not the cheese with the least amount of fat compared to some other brands, it had the best flavor and wasn’t as salty as I found some brands to be.
Freezing Mozzarella Sticks
These are freezer friendly, in fact these MUST be frozen before you bake them or you will have one big cheesy mess in your oven so it’s best to make them at least a day ahead! The good news is you can bread them all ahead of time then place them on a tray with wax paper and freeze. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer bag, so anytime you want to bake a few I just pop them in the oven!
How To Make Baked Mozzarella Sticks
More Easy Appetizers You’ll Love:
- Pizza Sausage Rolls
- Cheesy Baked Mexican Layer Dip
- Chicken Nuggets
- Air Fryer Bacon Burger Bites
- Jalapeno Popper Nachos
Baked Mozzarella Sticks
- Cut cheese in half to give you 24 pieces. Place cheese in the freezer until cheese is frozen.
- In small bowl, whisk the egg. Place the flour on another small dish.
- In separate bowl, combine bread crumbs, panko, parmesan cheese and dried parsley.
- Dip the frozen sticks in flour, shaking off excess, then into the egg, then coat with the crumbs.
- Repeat this process with the remaining cheese placing them on a tray with wax paper.
- Place cheese back into the freezer at least 1 hour until ready to bake (this is a MUST or they will melt before the crumbs get golden).
- When ready to bake preheat oven to 400° F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly spray with oil. Place frozen cheese sticks on baking sheet. Spray the tops of the mozzarella sticks with a little more oil and bake in the bottom third of your oven until crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Turn and bake an additional 4 - 5 minutes watching them closely so they don't melt.