Pizza Sausage Rolls wrapped in bagel dough with Italian chicken sausage, marinara and mozzarella make a fun recipe your whole family will love.
Pizza Sausage Rolls
I’m excited to share these tasty Pizza Sausage Rolls with you! I love pizza and like to eat it in different creative ways, like this French Bread Pizza Caprese or this Breakfast Pizza. These rolls take classic Italian sausage pizza ingredients and wrap them in my bagel dough. They’re perfect for appetizers, home school lunches, and dinner for the whole family. To save time, you can also use store bought pizza dough instead.
Are sausage rolls healthy?
Typically, sausage rolls aren’t the healthiest – that’s why I wanted to recreate them. The biggest culprit for fat and calories is usually the sausage, so I used Italian chicken sausage instead of pork. Chicken sausage is significantly lower in fat and calories. I also use my bagel dough, which is full of protein thanks to the non-fat Greek yogurt.
How to Make Pizza Sausage Rolls from Scratch
These baked sausage rolls are very easy to make from scratch.
1. Start with the Greek yogurt bagel dough recipe. If you want to use store bought pizza dough instead that’s perfectly fine too.
2. Divide the dough into four balls and roll into circles.
3. Now, it’s time to add the filling. Cover the dough with sauce and top with the cheese and then a halved sausage link.
4. Wrap the dough around the sausage and bake for 25-30 minutes at 400 degrees.
What goes with sausage rolls?
Italian sausage rolls make an easy lunch for your kids served with marinara sauce, for dipping. And of course, adults love pizza rolls too. If serving as a meal, pair with a big green salad, baked zucchini sticks or your favorite roasted veggies.
Note: I have not tested these with gluten-free flour, but I have made the bagels with cup4cup and had great success so I am sure it will work. You may have to add 5 more minutes to the bake time.
More Greek Yogurt Dough Recipes
Pizza Sausage Rolls
For bagel dough:
- 2 raw chicken Italian sausage links, 3 oz total (halved lengthwise) I like Premio
- 4 slices provolone or mozzarella cheese
- 8 teaspoons pizza sauce or marinara
- marinara sauce, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place parchment paper or a silpat on a baking sheet. If using parchment paper, spray with oil to avoid sticking.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk well.
- Add the yogurt and mix with a fork or spatula until well combined (it will be sticky and look like small crumbles).
- Lightly dust flour on a work surface and remove dough from the bowl, knead the dough a few times until dough is tacky, but not sticky, about 15 turns (it should not leave dough on your hand when you pull away). If it’s too sticky, add a few extra sprinkles of flour.
- Divide in 4 equal balls.
- Working with 1 ball at a time, lightly dust a rolling pin and a work surface and roll dough into a 5 ½” circle, about ¼” thick.
- Spread 2 teaspoons pizza sauce down the middle of the circle, leaving about 1/2” border.
- Lay 1 slice of cheese in the middle of the circle then top with 1/2 sausage link.
- Carefully bring both sides of the dough up, wrap one side around the sausage then the other.
- Press dough together so it’s sealed around the sausage and place it on the prepared sheet pan seam side-down.
- Repeat with remaining dough, sauce, cheese and sausage.
- Brush each with egg wash, top with sesame seeds, if using, and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes then slice into 6 pieces and serve.