Lemony Hearts of Palm Salad with Avocado
This Lemony Hearts of Palm and Avocado Salad is a fast and easy side salad recipe or make it a main dish with your favorite protein.
Hearts of Palm Salad with Avocado
I grew up eating hearts of palm right out of the can, so adding them to salads is nothing new to me. They have a slightly nutty flavor similar to artichoke hearts, with a creamy and crunchy texture. They combine perfectly with lemon, arugula, and avocado. If you’re new to hearts of palm, they are sold in a jar or can at the supermarket, and they even come in noodle form, which I used in this Hearts of Palm Noodle Peanut Stir Fry. Make it a meal with protein like chicken breast, shrimp, air fryer roasted chickpeas or salmon.
Can you eat hearts of palm raw?
Hearts of palm are ready to eat straight out of the can. You do not need to cook them.
What is hearts of palm salad made of?
This lemony hearts of palm salad has six main ingredients, plus olive oil, salt, and pepper. It’s a versatile recipe, so feel free to add whatever veggies you have on hand, like cucumber, bell pepper, or shaved carrots.
- Red onion: Season sliced red onion with salt. You can also swap it for shallot.
- Avocado: You’ll need one medium avocado.
- Tomato: I used an heirloom tomato, but any kind would work – even cherry or grape tomatoes.
- Hearts of Palm: Slice one cup of hearts of palm on an angle.
- Arugula: If you’re not a fan of arugula, substitute mixed greens or watercress.
- Hearts of Palm Salad Dressing: Drizzle lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and black pepper over the tomatoes, onions, and hearts of palm.
What to Serve with Hearts of Palm Salad
You can make this hearts of palm arugula salad a meal by adding chicken breast, shrimp, air fryer roasted chickpeas or salmon for protein. It also works as a side dish with roasted chicken, favorite pasta, or soup.
More Salad Recipes You’ll Love:
- Baby Greens with Goat Cheese, Beets, and Candied Pecans
- Grilled Shrimp Salad with Orange, Endive, and Radicchio
- Navel Orange Salad with Avocado
- Warm Salad with Artichoke Hearts, Roasted Peppers, Mozzarella
- Houston’s Grilled Chicken Kale Salad with Peanut Vinaigrette
Your comments are helpful! If you’ve tried this healthy Lemony Hearts of Palm Recipe or any other on Skinnytaste, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. And if you took a photo or video, share it with me on Instagram or Tiktok!
Lemony Hearts of Palm and Avocado Salad4+
- 5 ounces avocado, from 1 medium haas sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced lengthwise
- 1 heirloom tomato, sliced into thin wedges
- 1 cup sliced hearts of palm, , sliced 1/4 inch thick on an angle, from 14 ounce can
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 cups baby arugula
- Place onions in a medium bowl, season with 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt, set aside while you prep the remaining ingredients.
- Add the hearts of palm and tomato to the onions, add fresh 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, drizzle with 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and fresh black pepper.
- Place arugula in a large salad bowl, and arrange the avocado.
- Pour everything over the salad and serve right away, toss before serving.