This simple Garlic Shrimp recipe, inspired by the flavors of Spain takes just minutes to make and it’s so flavorful, a weeknight dinner win!
This recipe is inspired by one of my favorite dishes from Spain, Gambas al Ajillo or Spanish garlic shrimp. It’s typically swimming in olive oil, so I lightened up a bit but it’s still just as delicious!! It is bright, garlicky, and perfect with some crusty bread or served over rice! And the best part, it comes together in just 10 minutes. If garlic’s not your thing you can browse through all my shrimp recipes, like this Shrimp Ceviche these Shrimp Taquitos or these delicious Shrimp Eggrolls.
One of my favorite proteins to keep on hand in my freezer is shrimp! For convenience, you can buy it peeled and deveined so all you have to do is let it thaw then whip up your favorite dish. Shrimp takes 3 to 4 minutes to cook so it’s perfect when you want a high protein meal without spending a lot of time. It’s also a great source of lean protein.
This dish is a staple in my house because we are all shrimp lovers! It is also naturally gluten-free and dairy free, so it works for many dietary restrictions. Try it with Cilantro Lime Scallion Rice on the side.
How To Make Garlic Shrimp
This simple shrimp recipe is made with just a few ingredients:
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Mild Spanish paprika (the spice that makes chorizo red)
- Crushed red pepper flakes, for heat
- Chopped Parsley, for garnish
What kind of shrimp to use for this garlic shrimp recipe?
I prefer to use larger jumbo shrimp for garlic shrimp because they are meatier and tastier, but honestly the size won’t matter. If you use smaller shrimp, cook it less time so it doesn’t overcook and become tough.
Should you peel the shrimp?
I always use peeled and deveined shrimp because it’s easier to eat then shrimp you have to peel yourself.
- If you want to make this Garlic Butter Shrimp, swap the olive oil for butter!
- If you want to give this more South American flavors, swap the parsley for cilantro and squeeze some lime juice at the end.
More Shrimp Recipes You’ll Love:
- Shrimp Scampi Foil Packets
- Easy Roasted Lemon-Garlic Shrimp
- Chilled Italian Shrimp Tortellini Pasta
- Grilled Pesto Shrimp Skewers
- Cajun Shrimp in Foil
- 1 1/4 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined (weight after you peel them)
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin Spanish olive oil, or any good quality olive oil
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet Spanish paprika, or more to taste
- pinch kosher salt
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium heat and add the garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Sauté until golden, about 2 minutes being careful not to burn.
- Add shrimp and season with a pinch of salt and paprika.
- Cook 2-3 minutes until shrimp is cooked through. Do not overcook or it will become tough and chewy. Add chopped fresh parsley and divide equally in 4 plates.