Houston’s Grilled Chicken Kale Salad with Peanut Vinaigrette
Houston’s (Lightened-Up) Kale Salad with Peanut Vinaigrette is satisfying, made with a combo of grilled chicken, kale, cabbage, carrots, peanuts, scallions, cilantro and mint tossed in a light peanut-sesame dressing.
Houston’s Grilled Chicken Kale Salad
Hi everyone, I’m Heather K. Jones—I’m a registered dietitian and the founder of Feel Better Eat Better, an online weight loss program for women who struggle with emotional eating, binge eating, overeating or body image issues—click HERE to sign up for my free weight loss workshop available right now!
During my college years at the University of Maryland, my sister Cyndi and I waited tables at a restaurant. It was called Houston’s (now Woodmont Grill), and it so fun to share some their recipes here on Skinnytaste.
This recipe is another serious crowd pleaser. My sister Lori brought this salad to her book club once, and literally everyone asked for the recipe. And trust me, once you try this dish you’ll totally understand why.
There is just something so satisfying about this earthy combo; kale, cabbage, carrots, peanuts, scallions, cilantro and mint tossed in a light peanut-sesame dressing. To make it complete meal, I added some grilled chicken. Enjoy!
More chicken salad recipes:
- Rosemary Chicken Salad with Avocado and Bacon
- Grilled Chicken Salad with Strawberries and Spinach
- Halal Food Cart Style Chicken Salad with White Sauce
- Chicken Salad with Lemon and Dill
- BBQ Chicken Salad
Houston’s (Lightened-Up) Kale Salad with Peanut Vinaigrette8
For Peanut Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon reduced sodium soy sauce, or gf soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons raw honey
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the salad:
- 1 small bunch kale leaves, ribs and stems removed, finely chopped (about 4 generous cups)
- 1 cup finely chopped green cabbage
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 small scallions, chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons chopped roasted, salted peanuts
- In a small bowl, combine vinaigrette ingredients.
- Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Preheat outdoor grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Place chicken between a piece of plastic wrap or parchment and pound to an even thickness.
- Season with ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper, to taste.
- Grill for 5-6 minutes, turn and grill for an additional 5-6 minutes more, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes, then slice thin.
- In a large bowl, combine salad ingredients from kale to scallions.
- Top each with dressing, toss to evenly combine.
- Divide salad evenly on 2 plates or bowls, top each with chicken and peanuts and serve.
Photo Credit: Jess Larson