A beautiful salad made with massaged kale, roasted sweet potatoes, dried cherries, crumbled Feta cheese & pepitas. An easy kale and sweet potato recipe that’s nourishing & delicious!
Kale Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes
The perfect fall vegetarian salad with nourishing ingredients.
This recipe is created by Monique of Ambitious Kitchen and Lee of Fit Foodie Finds.
This kale salad with sweet potato is my favorite autumn salad. The sweet potato, maple syrup, and dried cherries all work so well together! The colors are beautiful, it’s delicious and it’s super nutritious.
It’s also great to make ahead for meal prep for the week, the flavors only get better! To meal prep, divide in 4 meal prep containers keeping the chickpeas and pepitas separate.
- If you want to make this dairy-free you can leave out the cheese.
- Roasted butternut squash would work great in place of sweet potato.
- Swap the dried cherries for cranberries.
Roasted Sweet Potato Kale and Dried Cherries, Feta & Pepitas
For the salad:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced into cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large bunch of Tuscan kale, stemmed and very finely chopped (about 6 cups chopped kale)
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Freshly ground salt and pepper, to taste
For the topping:
- 1/4 cup pepitas pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbles
- ⅓ cup dried cherries
- ½ cup roasted or canned chickpeas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place cubed sweet potatoes on baking sheet, drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil and maple syrup over the top then add garlic and salt. Toss to evenly coat the sweet potatoes with oil and spices.
- Spread sweet potato cubes evenly around pan and roast for 35-45 minutes, stirring halfway through, until sweet potatoes are fork tender.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, chop your kale if you haven’t already and add it to a large bowl.
- Next prepare your dressing: In a small bowl add the following: olive oil, orange juice, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard and maple syrup; whisk until smooth.
- Pour dressing all over the chopped kale and use your (clean) hands to gently massage the dressing into the kale for a few minutes. This helps remove any bitterness from the kale and adds flavor the the leafy green.
- Once sweet potato cubes are done cooking, add it to the kale.
- Pour into 4 salad bowls, or 1 large bowl for sharing.
- Before you serve the salad, top with pumpkin seeds, feta and roasted crunchy chickpeas. (Tip: Don’t add the cheese or pumpkin seeds until you are ready to eat; you want them crunchy not soggy.)
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.