A heavenly mixed berry trifle made with fresh summer blueberries and strawberries, white chocolate pudding, angel food cake, and whipped cream.
Red, White and Blueberry Trifle
This Red, White and Blueberry Trifle is the perfect summer dessert for Memorial Day. It’s so fun and patriotic. Some other red, white, and blue desserts to try are this fruit pizza, these fruit skewers with cheesecake yogurt dip, and these cheesecake cupcakes.
This low-calorie trifle is a healthier holiday dessert. I take the traditional angel food cake toppings of berries and whipped cream and layer them in a trifle. Angel food cake is pretty light since there are no butter or egg yolks in it. And of course, the trifle is full of fresh fruit.There is no need to heat up your kitchen with this trifle recipe. Using store-bought angel food cake makes this dessert quick and easy to prepare. You can use a box mix or make the cake from scratch if you prefer. Whatever you decide, this strawberry blueberry trifle will be fabulous!
What are the layers of a trifle?
This trifle has eight layers of deliciousness. Angel food cake makes up the base, followed by blueberries, pudding/cream mixture, and strawberries. Then, repeat the layers with more cake, blueberries, and pudding and decorate the top with the rest of the strawberries and blueberries.
Can you make the trifle the night before?
You can do a lot of the prep for the trifle the night before you serve it. Cut the cake, wash your berries, and make your pudding filling ahead of time. I’d wait to slice the strawberries the day of so they stay fresh. I wouldn’t layer the trifle too soon before your event because the cake could get soggy.
How do you make a trifle without a trifle bowl?
If you don’t have a trifle bowl, you could use any deep bowl you have like a big salad or punch bowl. You could also make small individual portions in glass cups or mason jars.
- Sub raspberries or blackberries for either the strawberries or blueberries.
- Make the angel food cake from scratch or a box mix instead of buying one premade.
- Use chocolate pudding instead of white chocolate pudding.
How To Make
More Berry Desserts You’ll Love:
Red, White and Blueberry Trifle
- 10 oz angel food cake, cut into 1-inch cubes*
- 2 pints strawberries, sliced
- 2 pints blueberries
For the cream filling:
- 6 tbsp fat-free sweetened condensed milk, I used Borden Eagle
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1 1-ounce package white chocolate or cheesecake instant pudding mix, fat-free, sugar-free
- 12 ounces frozen whipped topping, thawed (I like TruWhip)
- Whisk the condensed milk and water in a bowl.
- Whisk in the pudding mix for 2 minutes.
- Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set; fold in the whipped topping.
- Arrange half of the cake in the bottom of a 14-cup trifle dish.
- Sprinkle evenly with a layer of blueberries.
- Spread half of the cream mixture over the blueberries and gently spread (I piped it using a plastic bag and cut the corner off).
- Top with a layer of strawberries.
- Layer the remaining cake cubes on top of the strawberries, then add more blueberries and top with the remaining cream mixture.
- Finish with the remaining strawberries and blueberries, arranging them in a pretty pattern.
- Cover and refrigerate at least one 1 hour.