Spinach Tortellini en Brodo (in broth) is an Italian soup made with spinach and cheese tortellini and vegetables in a light broth.
Spinach Tortellini en Brodo
What can be more comforting than a hot bowl of soup, like this spinach tortellini en brodo, on a cold night. If your family wants meat in theirs, you may also enjoy this Turkey Meatball Tortellini Soup or this Three Cheese Mushroom Tortellini Soup for another vegetarian option.
Hearty soups for dinner are always the best remedy for warming up when the weather starts to get cold. It’s my favorite way to make a one pot meal, and leftovers are great the next day for dinner or to pack for lunch. My family loves this soup, so it’s a dinner win all around!
Have you heard of Tortellini en Brodo?
It simply means tortellini served in broth, in Italian.
This recipe was adapted from my friend Paula of Bell’alimento’s. I met Paula a few years ago on my first ever blogger event at the Pom Wonderful Harvest Fest, she has a beautiful blog with delicious Italian recipes.
A Note about Parmesan Cheese Rinds for Soup
I never toss my Parmesan cheese or Romano cheese rinds out, I always freeze them for soups like this. It’s a great way to add so much flavor to the broth. As your soup or stock simmer, the rind from cheese softens and flavors the liquid. The broth becomes infused with the wonderful cheese flavor. Once the soup is cooked, discard it before eating.
More Soup Recipes
- Chicken and Cavatelli Soup
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Cauliflower Soup,
- Asian Beef Zoodle Soup
- Turkey Meatball Tortellini Soup
- Three Cheese Mushroom Tortellini Soup
Spinach Tortellini en Brodo
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled & chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 cups chicken broth, (or sub vegetable broth)
- 3 cups water
- 1 small Parmigiano Reggiano Rind, optional
- 18 oz spinach cheese tortellini
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups baby spinach
- salt to taste
- Parmigiano Reggiano, grated (optional)
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-low heat.
- When melted, add the celery, onion, carrot & garlic.
- Cover and reduce heat to low and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the chicken broth, water, parmesan cheese rind and increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- When broth boils, add salt (to taste), pepper and nutmeg. Stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to low and add tortellini. Simmer until tortellini cooks to al dente according to package directions.
- Once cooked, remove the rind, and add the baby spinach.
- Stir to combine then serve with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano!
Last Step:Please leave a rating and comment letting us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business to thrive and continue providing free, high-quality recipes for you.
Photo credit: Jess Larson