Stuffed Bagel Balls (Baked or Air Fried)
Easy, homemade, mini stuffed bagel balls filled with cream cheese! This copycat Bantam Bagels recipe is made with no yeast, no boiling, no fancy mixer! You can bake them in the oven or make them in the air fryer!
Stuffed Bagel Balls
My husband is obsessed with Bantam Bagels, so when I started testing out this easy 5-Ingredient Bagel recipe he asked me to make them into bagel balls, and they turned out great!
I tested them out with wheat and gluten-free flour, and they both worked although the gluten-free version takes longer to bake and doesn’t rise as much as the wheat version. They came out just is good in the air fryer as they did in the oven, only the air-fryer (I have the Nuwave Brio, affiliate link) was much quicker.
These bagel balls are perfect to whip up for breakfast, you bake them ahead and reheat them for the week.
How To Make Cream Cheese Stuffed Bagel Balls
Stuffed Bagel Ball Variations:
You can get super creative with the cream cheese filling and toppings! Try:
- Add 3 tablespoons chopped scallions to the cream cheese and mix well. Top with dried onion.
- Add 1 ounce chopped lox to the cream cheese. Top with sesame seeds.
- Chop up some raisins and add cinnamon. Top with cinnamon and sugar.
Tips for perfect bagel balls:
- Use a silpat sprayed with oil to prevent them from sticking to the baking sheet.
- The bagel balls expand when they bake so you’ll want to make sure they have plenty of room so they don’t stick together.
- Plain yogurt will NOT work, you must use thick Greek yogurt, if there’s any liquid in the yogurt be sure to drain it. I tested with Fage and Stonyfield Greek, both worked great.
- If your dough is sticky add more flour or use less yogurt.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe to make more. You can also half or quarter it to make less.
- Bake on the top rack so the bottoms don’t get too browned.
- Be sure to seal the dough so no cream cheese leaks out.
Tips for gluten-free bagel balls:
I tested the gluten free bagels a few times in the oven and air fryer, both worked but the air fryer worked better, giving the bagels a golden crisp crust, here’s what worked:
- I used Bob’s Redmill Gluten Free 1 to 1 flour
- Once I formed the bagels I dipped my finger in water and smoothed it out.
- In the air fryer I baked 400F 12 min turning halfway. Let cool before eating.
Tips for egg-free bagel balls:
- The egg wash gives the bagels a nice shine and also helps the topping stick, but if you have egg allergies leave it out, you can brush them with water to help the toppings stick.
Tips for storing and freezing bagel balls:
- You can wrap leftover bagel balls in plastic, refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- To freeze, wrap tight with foil or plastic. To reheat pop them back into the oven, toaster or air fryer until warm.
- You can make the dough ahead and keep it wrapped tight with plastic for up to 3 days refrigerated.
Stuffed Bagel Balls
Easy, homemade, mini stuffed bagel balls filled with cream cheese! This copycat Bantam Bagels recipe is made with no yeast, no boiling, no fancy mixer!
- 1 cup (5 oz) unbleached all purpose flour, whole wheat or gluten-free mix*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (make sure it’s not expired or it won’t rise)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (use less if using table salt)
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt (not regular yogurt, it will be too sticky)
- 4 tablespoons (4 ounces, or half package) 1/3 less fat cream cheese, cut into 8 cubes
- 1 egg white, beaten (whole egg works fine too)
- (optional toppings: everything bagel seasoning, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried garlic flakes, dried onion flakes)**
- Preheat oven to 375F. Place parchment paper or a silpat on a baking sheet. If using parchment paper, spray with oil to avoid sticking.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk well.
- Add the yogurt and mix with a fork or spatula until well combined, it will look like small crumbles.
- Lightly dust flour on a work surface and remove dough from the bowl, knead the dough a few times until dough is tacky, but not sticky, about 15 turns (it should not leave dough on your hand when you pull away).
- Divide dough into 8 equal balls. Flatten each ball into circles, then place 1/2 tablespoon cream cheese on each. Cover the dough well and roll into a ball. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Top with egg wash and sprinkle with seasoning of your choice if desired.
- Bake on the top rack of the oven for 25 minutes. Let cool at least 10 minutes before eating.
Air Fryer Method:
- Spray the basket to avoid sticking.
- Preheat the air fryer 325F degrees and set for 11 to 12 minutes. Transfer in batches without overcrowding and bake 11 to 12 minutes, or until golden.
- No need to turn. Let cool at least 10 minutes before eating.
*To make them gluten-free I tested them with Bob’s Redmill 1 to 1 Gluten Free flour mix, see notes above for oven temp and bake time. The points are 4 SP each with this flour.
**Toppings may add calories and points.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 2 bagel balls
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 5
- Points +: 4
- Calories: 173 calories
- Total Fat: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 549mg
- Carbohydrates: 25g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 3g
- Protein: 10.5g