Perfect Baked Potato
A perfect baked potato is simple to prepare in the oven, with crispy skin and a fluffy interiors. This basic recipe for how to bake a potato is foolproof.
Perfect Baked Potato
A perfect baked potato is so easy to make and this simple method is my go-to. Although you can make it fast in the microwave, baking it in the oven allows the outside to brown and crisp. Once you cut into it, the inside is soft and fluffy. Enjoy this baked potato recipe as a side dish with your favorite protein or make it a meal and top it with chili or broccoli and cheese like the Chili Baked Potato and this Broccoli and Cheese Twice Baked Potatoes. Potatoes are a whole food, a good source of fiber and are also full of antioxidants. You may also like this Baked Sweet Potato recipe.
How to Bake a Potato in the Oven
I like to use russet potatoes but you can also use Yukon Gold or Idaho. You’ll also need olive oil spray not to be confused with cooking spray, and salt. Once you’re ready to bake follow these steps:
- First, preheat the oven to 425, and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Prep the potatoes by washing and drying them well. Then, prick the potatoes all over with the tines of a fork,
- Next, season the potatoes with salt and place them on the prepared baking sheet and spritz them all over with olive oil.
- Season them liberally with kosher salt, and transfer them to the preheated oven to bake.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until the skins is golden and crisp and you can easily pierce the potatoes with a small knife.
Microwave Baked Potato
- Cook the potato for 3 to 4 minutes and then flip and cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
- For every extra potato you’re cooking, add 1 minute for each side.
- If still hard, continue to cook in 1-minute increments until the potato is tender
Tips for the Perfect Baked Potato
Don’t wrap it with foil. Although you may be tempted to wrap the potato in foil, doing so won’t give you that really crispy skin that we are looking for here. Leaving the potatoes unwrapped will give you the best results.
Salt the outside. The skin is the loaded with fiber, so don’t toss it! To make it flavorful you’ll want to salt it so it’s tasty and crisp.
How To Serve
Depending on how hungry you are you can eat a half or whole potato as a side dish. Serve this oven baked potato with some sour cream or a little butter, salt, and pepper. Or load it up with sour cream, crumbled bacon, shredded cheese and chives to make a loaded baked potato.
Perfect Baked Potato Recipe
- 4 medium russet or Idaho potatoes, about 7 ounces each
- extra-virgin olive oil spray
- Kosher salt
- chives, sour cream, Greek yogurt, butter, salt and pepper, optional for topping
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Use a fork to prick a few holes into the potatoes all over. Place on the baking sheet, spritz the potato with olive oil and rub all over; sprinkle with kosher salt all over.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until the skin is golden and crisp and the potato is tender.
- Use a fork to fluff up the insides of the potato before adding your toppings.
- Slice open each potato. Assemble with all the fixins you like.
- Cook the potato for 3 to 4 minutes and then carefully flip and cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
- For every extra potato you're making, add 1 minute for each side.
- If the potato is still hard, continue to cook in 1-minute increments until the potato is tender.