Broccoli and Cheese Twice Baked Potatoes
These twice-baked potatoes are so cheesy, and guilt-free that you’ll never have to think twice about making them!
If you want to sneak some vegetables into your family’s meal, this is the perfect side dish – great with chicken, steak or pork chops. I often add cauliflower to my mashed potatoes and no one really notices. My baked potato soup is the perfect example.
These cheesy twice baked potatoes were first cooked in the microwave (you can of course bake them), then scooped out and mashed with cooked cauliflower, buttermilk and cheese. Then they went back into the shells and topped with steamed broccoli and more cheese, delicious!
Kid-friendly, vegetarian, gluten-free and simple to make. This took under 30 minutes to make, you can easily prepare them ahead and heat just before serving. I served them with Garlic Lover’s Roast Beef and I had one happy family!
For those of you on Weight Watchers, these are 3 points plus per serving. You can easily halve this recipe to make less.
Twice Baked Super Stuffed Cheesy Potatoes
- (18 oz) 4 medium russet potatoes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1 tbsp minced chives (optional)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Pierce the potatoes several times with a fork.
- Place in the microwave and use your baked potato setting until the potatoes are cooked through, turning half way. (Or you can bake 1 hour in your oven at 425° F)
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine cauliflower and broccoli with a little salted water and cook, covered for about 3 minutes.
- Remove the broccoli with a slotted spoon and set aside, continue cooking the cauliflower until soft, about 5 more minutes.
- Drain and set aside in a large bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Scoop the flesh out into the large bowl with the cauliflower, leaving a ¼” shell.
- Place the potato shells on a baking sheet.
- Mash the flesh with a potato masher or puree with a hand blender along with the cauliflower.
- Add the buttermilk and salt, mash until smooth.
- Fold in half of the shredded cheddar (and chives if desired).
- Spoon the potato/cauliflower mixture back into the shells.
- Top with the cooked broccoli (I just inserted them in) and remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes, or until heated through and the cheese is melted. (you can also microwave it for a few minutes if you prefer not to use the oven)
Yield: 8 servings , Serving Size: 1/2 loaded potato
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 3
- Points +: 3
- Calories: 146.5 calories
- Total Fat: 3.5g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: 152.5mg
- Carbohydrates: 23g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Sugar: 1.5g
- Protein: 8g