This creamy rainbow potato salad made with rainbow potatoes, celery, pickles, mustard and dill is lightened up using half mayonnaise, half yogurt. Perfect for picnics and backyard parties all summer long!
Rainbow Potato Salad
When you’re craving potato salad but want something a little bit healthier, this recipe is the solution! Swapping out half of the mayonnaise for yogurt reduces the calories and mashing half of the potatoes adds creaminess of the final dish, without having to add more mayonnaise. For more lighter potato salad recipes try this Baby Red Potato Salad, or this Summer Potato Salad with Apples. If you want a low carb side, you might like this mock low-carb potato salad made with cauliflower.
Potato Salad Variations
- Use red potatoes in place of rainbow potatoes.
- Swap the pickles and pickle juice for capers and caper juice.
- Swap the yellow mustard for Dijon mustard.
- Add some diced red pepper.
What to serve with potato salad:
Rainbow Potato Salad
- 1 ½ pounds multi-color baby potatoes
- Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup olive oil mayonnaise, or light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoon fresh dill
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 dill pickle spear, finely chopped
- 1 medium celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 small green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice
- Place potatoes in a large pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Boil for 10-15 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, 1 teaspoon dill, pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, set aside half. Peel the other half by gently pinching the skin and pulling it away. Place peeled potatoes in a medium bowl and mash with a potato masher. Dice the remaining potatoes into 1-inch cubes and add to the bowl with the mashed potatoes.
- Add pickle, celery, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and all but 1 tablespoon of the green onion. Add the yogurt mixture and pickle juice to the potatoes and toss gently to evenly coat. Garnish with remaining dill and green onion.