This Cheeseburger Salad has everything I love about a cheeseburger, sans the bun. Chopped romaine, tomatoes, avocado, pickles, shredded cheese topped with ground beef burgers, red onions and drizzled with a seriously delicious dressing.
Of course, if you prefer to make this with ground turkey or even veggie burgers, that would work too! It’s a fun spin on an American classic. If you need more healthy ground beef recipes I have you covered!
Hi! I’m Heather K. Jones. I’m a registered dietitian, a weight loss coach, a nutrition consultant for Skinnytaste, and the founder of Smaller Size Bigger Life, a group coaching program for women who struggle with emotional eating, overeating, or body image issues.
I’m so excited to guest post on Skinnytaste today (thank you so much, Gina!) and share this yummy Cheeseburger Salad. I know you’re going to love it!
I’m also so excited to invite you to join my FREE 3-week Smaller Size Bigger Life Summer Session, starting August 1st. After 20 years working in the weight loss business (as well as overcoming my own struggles), I can tell you with confidence that there is ONE thing that you must have for lasting success. It is a supportive mindset. And in the Smaller Size Bigger Life Summer Session, I’ll help you shift from self-sabotage, criticism and procrastination into inspired, consistent and joyful action.
So when my sister Lori (she’s the best cook in my family) insisted I try her new cheeseburger salad, I wasn’t convinced I was going to like it. A cheeseburger salad, really? But whoa, one bite of this dish and I was hooked!
It’s a super easy one-bowl meal, it’s kitchen-free (everything is cooked on the grill), and it’s very filling thanks to the fiber-rich veggies. Enjoy!
How To Make a Cheeseburger Salad
More Salad Recipes:
- BBQ Chicken Salad
- Quinoa Salmon Burger Salad
- Mediterranean Bean Salad
- Asian Chicken Lettuce Wrap Salad
- Rosemary Chicken Salad with Avocado and Bacon
For the Salad:
- 1 pound 93% lean ground beef
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 4 dill pickle spears, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced into rings
- 4 ounce avocado, cubed (from 1 small haas)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dill pickle juice
- 4 teaspoons ketchup, sugar free for Keto
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- In a large bowl, combine beef, salt and pepper. With wet hand, gently form into 4 equal patties. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- Cook hamburger patties on a grill to medium doneness, around 4-5 minutes per side. After flipping the patties, add the onion rings to the grill. Cook onion for the remaining 4-5 minutes, flipping halfway through. Allow patties to rest for 5-10 minutes then cut each patty into 16 bite-size pieces.
- Add the lettuce, pickles, onion, avocado and tomato to the bowl. Divide the salad among 4 plates, top each with grilled onions, cheese, and 1 chopped patty. Drizzle with ¼ of the dressing.