Portobello Burger with Mozzarella and Pesto Mayo
These grilled Portobello Mushroom Burgers topped with mozzarella, red peppers, and pesto mayo, are delicious and an excellent vegetarian burger option.
Portobello Burger with Mozzarella
Who doesn’t love a good hamburger? I know I do! But I also love going meatless and really enjoy these Portobello Burgers, especially with pesto mayo and mozzarella, so good!! These are a variation of this Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burger recipe. I marinate and grill the mushrooms and top them with mozzarella, grilled red onions, roasted peppers, and an easy pesto mayonnaise sauce. For some other veggie burger ideas, try my Spicy Black Bean Burgers and Houston’s Veggie Burgers.
Portobello mushrooms are a great meat substitute if you’re trying to reduce your calories or red-meat consumption. Portobellos have a meaty texture and flavor that I enhance with a simple marinade made of balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, olive oil, and Montreal steak seasoning.
How do you prepare portobello mushrooms?
To prep portobellos for cooking, pop off the stems and wipe the tops of the mushrooms off with a paper towel. You can remove the gills on the inside of the mushrooms if you want, but it’s not necessary as they are edible.
What to Serve with Portobello Mushroom Burgers
Portobello Mushroom Burger Tips & Variations:
- If you don’t have a grill, cook the mushrooms on a grill pan or cast-iron skillet on your stove.
- If you’d like to use homemade pesto for the sauce, try my Skinny Basil Pesto.
- Swap the mozzarella for provolone cheese.
- If you prefer meat, use lean ground beef or turkey patties instead of mushrooms and top with all the same toppings.
More Burger Recipes You’ll Love:
- Greek Turkey Burgers
- Air Fryer Bacon-Burger Bites
- Grilled Hawaiian Teriyaki Burger
- Healthy Salmon Quinoa Burgers
- Chicken Parmesan Burgers
Portobello Mushroom Burger with Mozzarella, Roasted Peppers and Pesto Mayo
- 2 tablespoons jarred or homemade pesto
- 2 tablespoons light mayo
- 4 portobello mushroom caps
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 tsp steak seasoning like Montreal Steak Grill Mates
- 4 thick slices red onion
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced thin
- 1 roasted red pepper, jarred or homemade sliced
- 4 whole wheat low calorie buns, I used Martin
- Combine mayo and pesto in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, soy sauce, oil, and Montreal steak seasoning.
- Place the mushroom caps in the bowl and toss with sauce, using a spoon to evenly coat. Let stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes, turning a few times.
- Heat the grill or indoor grill pan over medium heat. When hot, brush the grate with oil or lightly spray the grill pan.
- Place the mushrooms on the grill, reserving marinade for basting. Grill for 5 to 7 minutes on each side, or until tender, brushing with marinade frequently.
- Top the mushrooms with cheese during the last minute of cooking.
- While the mushrooms cook, grill the onions about 1 minute on each side and grill the buns until toasted.
- To finish, spread the pesto on the buns, place the grilled portobello mushrooms on the buns and top with the grilled onions, and roasted peppers.