Air Fryer French Fries
Crispy french fries made in the air-fryer, with just a small amount of oil! Making them in the oven shaves fat and calories off, without sacrificing taste.
Since buying my air-fryer (affiliate link), I’ve been keeping it on my counter and playing around with it. Of course, I HAD to test out fries, and they definitely didn’t disappoint! The key is to turn them half way and don’t overcrowd the basket. One small potato fit perfect. To make double, you would have to make them in two batches.
What is an air fryer?
An air fryer is a kitchen appliance that cooks by circulating hot air around food at high speed, which produces crispy food in a fraction of the time it would take in a conventional oven.
Is an Air Fryer better than the oven?
- In my opinion there are pros and cons to having an air fryer.
- The pros: Air fryers are compact enough to fit on your kitchen counter and their small size means the heat inside is more concentrated.
- They cook food faster than cooking in an oven and the food comes out crisp.
- The cons: the basket is small, so if you’re cooking for a large family, you would have to cook in batches.
- If you have a small kitchen, it takes up space on your counter.
Is using an air fryer healthy?
- Yes, it’s healthier that deep frying because you use less oil.
- An air fryer is an excellent way to reduce a massive amount of fat and calories without sacrificing taste.
- Since air fryers use air to cook food, it doesn’t require the extra calories that submerging food in oil would add.
That being said, I am a huge fan of this appliance. A few more dishes I’ve made with the air fryer that I loved: Air Fryer Empanadas, Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan and Air Fryer Crispy Breaded Pork Chops. More recipes coming soon!
Air Fryer French Fries
Crispy french fries made in the air-fryer, with just a small amount of oil!
- nonstick spray
- 1 medium potatoes (6 oz), yukon gold or russet, washed and dried
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the air fryer 380°F. Spray the basket with oil.
- Cut the potato lengthwise into 1/4 inch thin slices; then cut each slice into 1/4 inch fries. (A mandolin is helpful here).
- In a medium bowl toss the potatoes and oil. Season with salt, garlic powder and black pepper to taste; toss to coat.
- Place the potatoes in the basket in an even layer without overlapping or crowding, cook the potatoes 15 minutes, turning halfway until crisp.
Yield: 1 serving, Serving Size: 1 potato
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 5
- Points +: 5
- Calories: 176 calories
- Total Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 6.5mg
- Carbohydrates: 31.5g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Sugar: 1g
- Protein: 4g