These crispy french fries are easy to make and seriously good! A healthy air fryer recipe that makes addictive fries in minutes!
Air Fryer French Fries Recipe
Crispy french fries made in the air-fryer, with just a small amount of oil! Making them in the oven shaves fat and calories off, without sacrificing taste.
I am a huge fan of air frying, so much so I wrote the Skinnytaste Air Fryer Cookbook AND partnered with Vremi to come out with the Skinnytaste by Vremi Air Fryer.
Since having the Skinnytaste by Vremi Air Fryer (you can pre-order now), I’ve been keeping it on my counter and making EVERYTHING in it! Of course, this is the ONLY way we make French fries now! The key is to turn them half way and don’t overcrowd the basket. A few more dishes you’ll love in the air fryer: Air Fryer Empanadas, Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan and Air Fryer Crispy Breaded Pork Chops.
How To Make Air Fryer French Fries
What is an air fryer?
An air fryer is a kitchen appliance that cooks by circulating hot air around food at high speed, which produces crispy food in a fraction of the time it would take in a conventional oven.
Is an Air Fryer better than the oven?
- In my opinion there are pros and cons to having an air fryer. More pros than cons!
- The pros: Air fryers are compact enough to fit on your kitchen counter and their small size means the heat inside is more concentrated.
- They cook food faster than cooking in an oven and the food comes out crisp.
- It doesn’t heat your whole kitchen!
- It only takes 3 minutes to preheat.
- The cons: the basket is smaller than a large oven, so if you’re cooking for a large, you have to cook in batches.
Is using an air fryer healthy?
- Yes, it’s healthier that deep frying because you use less oil.
- An air fryer is an excellent way to reduce a massive amount of fat and calories without sacrificing taste.
- Since air fryers use air to cook food, it doesn’t require the extra calories that submerging food in oil would add.
More air fryer recipes recipes here!
Air Fryer French Fries
- nonstick spray
- 1 medium potatoes, 6 oz, yukon gold or russet, washed and dried
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Preheat the air fryer 380°F.
- Cut the potato lengthwise into 1/4 inch thin slices; then cut each slice into 1/4 inch fries. (A mandolin is helpful here).
- In a medium bowl toss the potatoes and oil. Season with salt, garlic powder and black pepper to taste; toss to coat.
- Place the potatoes in the basket in an even layer without overlapping or crowding, cook the potatoes 12 to 15 minutes, turning halfway until crisp.
- Note: If you have a Cuisinart Toaster Style Fryer, cook 350F 12 minutes.
132 comments on “Air Fryer French Fries”
Have made this recipe several times. Potatoes come out crispy and brown, seasoning is good.
Will continue to use this recipe to make my air fries,
I just want to warm up left over french fries….how do I do this?
You left out the salt and Parmesan in directions? Or mine was cut off because of all the dumb ads!!!!
Thank you for adding the comment: Cuisinart Toaster Style Fryer, cook 350F 12 minutes. That’s what I have and its frustrating when it comes out wrong because other airfryers need higher settings, etc.
I’ve also been frustrated with this oven, but I’ve found that if I adjust all recipes (air fry, oven, convection – doesn’t matter) to be 50F less that what’s called for things usually come out right.
Hello! My fries were not crispy. So sad! Any ideas on what happened? We have an insta pot air fryer. Cooked air fry setting. 400 degrees. Fifteen minutes. Turned halfway through. Has two shelves. Put fries on each shelf. Really hoping for crispy fries soon!
Try cooking them on 340 Fahrenheit for 5 mins then shake them and cook for 10 mins on 390/400 Fahrenheit
OMG – these were delicious! They are the soft-crunchy kind that I love.
Thank you for this recipe! It was so quick to make, too.
I love cooking my frozen fries in the air fryer!! These look awesome!
I just purchased the KitchenAid countertop convection oven with air fryer. I don’t have space for separate appliances. This is my first recipe to make. 🤞 please remember us toaster oven air fryer cooks when you create your recipes. Thanks bunches!
Live Skinnytaste. Can’t remember how long I’ve been a subscriber. Keep up the amazing work.
These fries are so yummy. I will be making these again in the not too distant future. So good there was no need for ketchup or any other type of dipping sauce.
When using the air fryer in a toaster oven, how do I keep the bottom coils clean?
I use my basket on top of the tray!
I love this recipe and can’t believe I can actually eat French fries on weight watchers, stay within my daily points budget, and still lose weight. The air fryer made them crispy just the way I like them. No more temptation to go to fast food restaurants when I have a quick and simple 5 point (green plan) solution that is very satisfying!
What do you consider to be 1 serving size?
1 6oz potato.
HI! I love all of your recipes and this is my go to site for daily recipes. I made these air fryer french fries today, They were crispy and tasted great. However, they stuck to the basket. Has anyone had this issue? I sprayed the basked with spray as well as the potatoes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Do you soak the cut potatoes in ice water to rinse the starch out? I’ve seen different recipes that call for this. If not, why not? I’m just trying to figure out if this would or would not be a necessary step. Thanks!
I personally do not. 🙂
I do not have an air fryer. Can these be baked in the oven? Would it be the same temp?
You can use this recipe as a guide for cooking times https://www.skinnytaste.com/skinny-garlic-parmesan-fries/
I made these last night and they were fabulous on their own but I am a California girl and In-n-Out is my kryptonite.. so I made the fries threw on a slice of Horizon American Cheese, put it in the oven on broil, and added some grilled onions. It was just as good as In-n-Out if not better! Thank you for helping me get my In-n-Out fix for a fraction of the calories
Love this recipe. Question, my kids love Cajun fries…could I just put Cajun seasoning on these. If so, how much. Thanks!
I would start with 1/8 of a teaspoon then go from there to taste 😊
Just made your Air Fryer french fries with Yukon Gold potatoes. I’m in heaven! On WW purple, I’m counting 1 point. I only did one potato, and instead of measuring a tsp of olive oil, I just sprayed it on lightly. Heaven!
And air fried french fries reheat well because they’re not greasy!