Baby Red Potato Salad with Apples
Apples add a sweet crunch to every bite of this healthy baby red potato salad made with celery, Dijon, vinegar, and chives.
Summer Potato Salad with Apples
I got the idea for this Baby Red Potato Salad with Apples from my mother-in-law, who always puts apples in her potato salad, which we love. It’s an unexpected happy surprise, and we always add them now when we make potato salad. The sweet and savory combo works so well. Try my Baby Red Potato Salad and Rainbow Potato Salad for more ways to make potato salad.
My mother in law puts apples in her potato salad, and it’s an unexpected happy surprise! Every time we make potato salad, we add them because everyone loves her potato salad.
Baby Red Potato Salad Ingredients
- Potatoes: I use baby red potatoes, but you can swap them for fingerling, Yukon Gold, or new potatoes.
- Apples: The Gala apple adds sweetness and crunch, but feel free to swap it with a Granny Smith or whatever type of apple you have on hand. The vinegar in the dressing will keep them from turning brown.
- Onion: You can sub the red onion for a shallot.
- Chives: If you don’t have chives, use the green tops of scallions, or skip them.
- Dressing: The creamy potato salad dressing is very light on the mayo. It’s mixed with Dijon, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper. You can switch out the red wine vinegar for apple cider or white wine vinegar and the mayonnaise for Greek yogurt if you prefer.
Do you boil potatoes with skins on or off for potato salad?
If I use baby red or baby Yukon gold potatoes, I like to keep the skins on for potato salad, so I boil the potatoes without peeling them. This speeds up the process, so much faster and easier!
What can you pair with baby red potato salad?
This easy potato and apple salad is the perfect side that goes with anything you’re grilling, like these grilled chicken skewers, turkey burgers, or pulled pork. It’s great to bring to a BBQ or picnic since you can easily double the recipe to serve a larger crowd.
More Summer Side Dish Recipes You’ll Love:
- Grilled Corn Salad with Feta
- Grilled Vegetable Orzo Pasta Salad
- Summer Tomato Salad
- Watermelon Cucumber Feta Salad
- White Bean Caprese Salad
Baby Red Potato Salad with Apples3
- 22 ounces baby red or yukon gold potatoes, cut in quarters, about 4 cups
- 2 tbsp minced celery
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1 gala apple, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 tbsp chives, minced
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp reduced fat mayonnaise
- salt and fresh pepper
- Boil potatoes in salted water until soft, approx 10 - 14 minutes, or until soft if pierced with a fork. Drain and let cool.
- While the potatoes are boiling, combine red onion, celery, mustard, olive oil, vinegar and mayonnaise and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well and let the flavors marinade while the potatoes cook.
- Once the potatoes are done and cool, mix into the bowl and add chives and apples, additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve room temperature or refrigerate until ready to serve.