Slow Cooker Kalua Pork
This EASY 3-ingredient slow cooker kalua pork dish has become a staple in my house! We make it at least once a month because it’s SO easy and it makes enough for several meals!
Kalua Pig is popular at Hawaiian luaus where a whole pig is smoked in a sand pit with sea salt, banana leaves and koa wood. This simple crock pot method mimics the smoked flavor of using natural liquid smoke and the results are an easy, mouth-watering, juicy pork recipe anyone can make at home.
We eat it this so many different ways – simple lettuce wraps with rice and hoisin sauce pictured above, over rice with hot sauce, as a great big salad (pictured below) and we even make pork tacos with corn tortillas and a simple slaw. To make this Keto and Whole30 friendly, serve it over cauliflower rice or salad. Enjoy!
I used a lean boneless shoulder blade roast, trimmed of all fat and Hawaiian sea salt which I found at Trader Joe’s.
A pork loin roast would also work, although it’s a bit leaner and therefore drier. This slow cooks in your crock pot for about 12 to 16 hours so I often start mine at night and let it cook all night long.
Crock Pot Kalua Pork
This EASY 3-ingredient slow cooker dish has become a staple in my house! It’s SO easy, family-friendly and it makes enough for several meals.
- 2 to 3 lb trimmed pork shoulder blade roast
- 1 tbsp liquid mesquite smoke
- coarse red Hawaiian sea salt (any sea salt would work)
- Place pork in the crock pot and stab it all over with the tip of a knife. Rub sea salt all over pork. Drizzle the liquid smoke all over and set crock pot to low; cook until the meat is tender, about 12 to 16 hours.
- Remove from crock pot and place on a large platter. Remove any fat you may have missed and shred pork with two forks. Discard liquid reserving a little as needed to keep pork moist.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings, Serving Size: 3 oz
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 6
- Points +: 4
- Calories: 197 calories
- Total Fat: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 72mg
- Sodium: mg
- Carbohydrates: 0g
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugar: 0g
- Protein: 20g
Adapted from La Fuji MamaAll images and text ©