Delicious Mexican pork carnitas (Mexican Pulled Pork) made in the Instant Pot (pressure cooker) for tacos, burrito bowls, taco salads and more, (also great with cilantro lime rice)!
Instant Pot Pork Carnitas
One of my most popular pork recipes is my slow cooker pork carnitas. With so many requests for an Instant Pot version, here it is!
These carnitas turned out juicy and tender in the Instant Pot and so much quicker, so great if you need a quicker version! This is also freezer-friendly.
Instant Pot Pork Carnitas (Mexican Pulled Pork)
- 2 1/2 pounds trimmed, boneless pork shoulder blade roast, cut into 4 pieces
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 6 cloves garlic, cut into sliver
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sazon, I used homemade
- 1/4 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2-3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dry adobo seasoning, I used Goya
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Season pork with salt and pepper.
- Press saute on the instant pot, spray with oil and brown the pork on all sides for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Using a sharp knife, insert blade into pork about 1-inch deep, and insert the garlic slivers, you’ll want to do this all over.
- Season pork with cumin, sazon, oregano, adobo and garlic powder all over.
- Pour chicken broth, add chipotle peppers and stir, add bay leaves and place pork in the Instant Pot, cover and cook using the pressure cooker setting on high pressure for 80 minutes.
- When the pressure releases, shred pork using two forks and combine well with the juices that accumalated at the bottom.
- Remove bay leaves and adjust cumin and add adobo and mix well.